1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Huffington Post: 7 Things People With ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Want You To Know

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, May 7, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7 Things People With ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Want You To Know

Chronic fatigue syndrome, or myalgic encephalomyelitis (known as ME) is a long-term illness that affects more than 250,000 people in the UK, according to the ME Association. Despite the high numbers of sufferers – who are mostly women – it is considered a hidden disease and widely misunderstood.

The NHS says the most common symptom is extreme tiredness. People with ME may also experience sleep problems, muscle or joint pain, headaches, sore throat, flu-like symptoms, feeling dizzy or sick and fast or heart palpitations.

“It is an invisible illness,” says Dr Charles Shepherd, of the ME Association. “When you see people with ME, we might not always look ill, but when our symptoms flare, the effects are obvious. Our bodies are painfully sore and ‘brain fog’ causes confusion.”

Sing, Little Bluestem, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  2. Peter

Peter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Extreme tiredness”?

Chezboo, Perrier, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the sound on the video at the end bothers you, you can switch the sound off while watching - I'm pretty sure there is no dialogue.

Little Bluestem, Hutan and andypants like this.
  4. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Based on the ME Association press release. They seem to be getting quite a lot of coverage. I’ve only been taking notice a couple of years anyone think it’s any more coverage than before - or not?

5. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The subtitle reads:
    "I often feel like a 100-year-old trapped inside a young person’s body."

Well, I feel the other way round. Which makes a lot more sense to me...
    The idea of a 100 year old having a young person's body surely would be something favoured?

ETA: I wrapped my head around this. It makes sense in a way that our disease is often not visible, so we may look young but feel differently.

For me, I still feel "young"(or age-appropriate), but unfortunately my body only has the capacity of a very old woman.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To be fair, that is what the NHS is saying. The NHS is wrong, but it is what they are saying.

Journalism is expected to be more than reporting that one person is saying that it's raining and another saying that it's not, but on this they can't really overrule since the NHS is the sole medical authority on this. Very much GIGA.

7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I loaded the Huffington Post article, I saw this:
    I clicked on "OK". I don't know what Oath is going to do when they find out my 'device' is a desktop PC. :D