1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

How Henri Matisse (and I) Got a ‘Beautiful Body’, New York Times essay by Nick Riggle, 2022

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Jaybee00, Dec 26, 2022.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But there is a limit to the happiness we can find in maintaining what is generally accepted as a healthy or beautiful body: If you are fortunate enough to live a long life, your body will break down. And it is not only age that can have its way with our bodies. Illness, accident or disability can quickly put an end to that bodily source of happiness. What then?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/25/...UlyzPDbLB3goOY0NPmFasdWRQ3nsGd&smid=share-url

2. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, @Jaybee00, that's a really great article. :thumbup::party::)

Music also can bring up stuff like this... Just been listening to "Don't Let Us Get Sick", don't let us get old. By Warren Zevon.

Or if you prefer a live version you can find one here. He speaks in the live version about having his 53rd birthday the previous week. He died in 2003 at the age of 56. Very gifted songwriter, but had a strange and difficult life. Too many drugs for one thing - in and out of rehab from what I understand!

But a lot of his music is totally fantastic. Sad really that he's only remembered on the whole for "Werewolves of London". Great song, but so much more of his music is as good as, or even better.

3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Great article. Thanks @Jaybee00 I feel inspired by Matisse everyday.