1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for courses: choosing an evidence-based psychological therapy for your patient, 2018, David McCormack, Trudie Chalder

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Sly Saint, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Don't have access to the full article:

BJPsych Advances:
    Horses for courses: choosing an evidence-based psychological therapy for your patient

"There are many different approaches to choose from and many have not been subjected to rigorous study."

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...your-patient/7491C909027E3466BAFEE53C704CC2B5

2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

would be really interested to read the full paper if anyone has access.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That link suggests to me that medicine has given up even pretending to try to cure people. This is a shame - a new Dark Ages, here we come.

4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interesting paper. It seems to say, if you want to know what therapy to choose just read NICE guidelines, they are good.

6. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

:rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh:!!! Here's how the article begins. I'm not making this up, it really starts like this!
    It gets funnier. In their blurb, the authors say that one of the learning objectives is to:
    But they provide no evidence in the paper to support this statement at all! Here's what they say:
    That's it. Just a bald pronouncement. They give no evidence to support it, not even a reference to someone else's work. Nothing. Just the statement, given as fact.

And of course the reality is far from this. There's very little evidence that positively distinguishes the effectiveness of one type of psychological therapy from another. Mostly, they all seem to "work", at least in the loose way we currently evaluate them.

I know these authors have a particular bias, but this is a step farther than they usually go - now they are just creating articles based on complete falsehoods.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I guess this is the ultimate 'Instant Water' paper.

Just add water and .... there you are.

Barry, MEMarge, Webdog and 8 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway?psychosocial research, the showfake science where everything's made up and the pointsfacts don't matter."

MEMarge, Webdog, andypants and 8 others like this.
  9. large donner

large donner Guest

I think they would be more suited to going on Would I Lie To You. However the instant answer would be yes, then the show would just end. Perhaps from that exposure they could get onto Loose Women.

Barry, MEMarge, JemPD and 6 others like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Psychiatry often embraces the concept of the benevolent lie ... its OK to lie if you think its in the patient's best interest.

11. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I object to the mention of horses in anything to do with psychological therapy. :mad: There are no horses for this course! :emoji_horse_racing:

I think we can reach the verdict that these people are dodos. :yuck:

Barry, MEMarge, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Can't I say steaming pile of ...

Oh well :(

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

A lot of patients have adopted the concept of the benevolent lie when involved with NHS CFS clinics ‘yes here’s my homework activity schedule - I’ve been doing extra activity and I’m not making it up honest’

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

When I have to fill in forms at the dentist etc I have adopted the benevolent lie of leaving the "other medical conditions" box blank. Fit as a fiddle me, thanks for asking. Just get a bit tired sometimes.

15. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Talking about horses is interesting as in the 80s or 90s there was talk of horses getting ME. It was a problem for racing horses but was presumably some sort of overtraining syndrome. Maybe they all got CBT

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)