1. Read all the 'News In Brief' from w/c 21st May. Click to read.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used CBD oil and got any benefits from it?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Arnie Pye, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Note : I live in the UK and CBD oil is legal here.]

I bought a tiny bottle of CBD oil a few weeks ago but left it until yesterday to give it a try. (@Wonko jogged my memory on the subject.) I've taken three very small doses so far, only quarter of the size suggested for one dose. The reason for buying it in the first place was because I've read good reviews for it in the treatment of pain and inflammation.

My comments so far :

1) The cost is way beyond my means as a regular thing. I bought a bottle with 10 doses in and it cost about £24 and it is suggested that people take 3 or 4 doses a day. I hadn't shopped around (I still haven't), so it may be cheaper online. I bought from a physical shop in my local shopping centre.

2) It tastes vile, which is a problem because it is supposed to be dropped under the tongue and held there for 5 - 10 minutes.

3) It has done nothing so far except make me feel slightly sick, but then I've only taken 3 doses at quarter strength.

My questions :

1) Has anyone tried it? Did it do anything for you? What form did you try it in, and what dose do you need?

2) Does anyone have a good value, legal, honest, online supplier in the UK to link me to?

3) My limited research so far shows that CBD comes in various forms - oil, capsules, creams and ointments, possibly other forms too. Are the capsules any good? The taste of the oil is going to cause me problems.

4) Has anyone put it in hot food or cooked with it without reducing the effect of it? Doesn't it spoil the flavour of food?

2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This morning I ordered some capsules, £35 for 30, each claiming 24mg of CBD. Given it's near Christmas I am uncertain when these will turn up, the site claims tomorrow but......seems a bit unlikely.

These were ordered to check out the vendor, I have a friend with a couple of forms of arthritis, and she's at the top of what her GP will allow opiate wise (and seems to be either intolerant and/or actively allergic to several other things they've tried) - so as soon as I found out CBD was legal in the UK......

Unfortunately it's not something I've ever really looked into before, but the drops were ruled out almost immediately, despite allegedly being the fastest acting form, she's very picky, she literally won't eat if she doesn't like the taste of something, so getting a form with a reputation of not tasting nice...didn't seem wise ;)

In short, I have no idea if these things will work, for either of us, but she at least is out of conventional options, they have a reputation for being helpful to a lot of people with arthritis, so worth a punt - it's a fair amount of money, I couldn't afford to continue it, but she's better off than me, even at several doses a day it's not undoable for her, if it works.

I have ordered from kingofcbd.co.uk - but I currently have absolutely no idea if anything will turn up, if it does will it be what is claimed, and even if so, will it actually do anything useful.

So...just placing a marker here really

edit - I just got an email saying it's status had been changed to "processing", so I, as you do, looked on the site, to find the status is "dispatched". So based on prior experience with multiple online companies I'm going to assume that both of these are lies and it's actually had a dispatch label printed and may be in any state between label in a pile, to item in box with label on, thrown in a (different) pile for next time the royal mail arrives - the one thing it definitely doesn't mean is that my cbd is in the hands of the royal mail (however it's unlikely they have a status for that, given that "dispatched" normally means something else entirely).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Indigophoton, MEMarge, Trish and 2 others like this.
  3. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have and do use various forms of CBD. Capsules, sublingual spray, vaping. I find it has a significant (but not total) effect on inflammation.

The challenge, for me anyway, in seeing if it is a fit is that it is cumulative--so to know if it's going to work, you have to give it up to 5-6 weeks (or at least I did) which is a significant investment if it's a flop. If it's a go, it should cost you about $2-4/day. I have noted that some users saw an effect earlier than I did.

Also, it should not taste horrible. Normally it is quite bland.
    A patient on PR had mentioned getting it through Endoca in the UK. Maybe looking into that or other sites you can find a better value and something that either tastes more pleasant or is in a different format.

Hope this helps :)

4. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use CBD oil and suppositories. I prefer suppositories as the oil tastes bad and also the effect is delayed. I use very high concentrations, oil 15%, suppositories 50mg. I use it for my intestinal issues but they also give me good quality sleep and stop the nausea. I seriously rely on them now. I also use CBD salve for skin issues. None of these products are cured me but they helped a lot, much more than conventional medicine. I feel they are helping with palpitations too. I still take the beta blockers but I feel better with the CBD oil.

I use endoca; good products, ok delivery. Salve I use is not by Endoca though, it is produced by Sisters of the Valley.

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a friend who uses CBD oil for neck pain caused by a herniated disc and she swears by it.

6. Arnie Pye

Could it have gone rancid? I'll be pissed off if that is the problem with what I've bought. But how could I tell? I've never tasted it before. :(

7. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I dunno what to say, arnie, other than maybe try another brand to compare? Or call the company and ask if it's supposed to have a strong taste? Erin said theirs tasted bad, yet the kind I have do not. Is yours more like a pasty goo or an actual oil? Since I'm not in the UK I can't point you to products, wish I could :/

Wonko and Arnie Pye like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

It's like an oil, and it comes out of a dropper quite easily. I definitely won't buy from the same source again. I'll go with one of the ones I've seen recommended if or when I buy again.

Wonko likes this.
  9. erin

Yes, CBD oil has use by date it should be kept in the fridge. It lasts about a year usually. Also if it is raw oil it has a harsher taste. Higher concentrations has a harsh taste too.

Forgot to mention that I have herniated disk on my neck. CBD oil helps to this too.

To be honest it really is good but it is so expensive if you use it regularly. And it is not a cure but it helps big time, no side effects.

I decided to cut down other expenses as much as possible and use it for not to feel sick. No NHS covers it, illegal in many countries...Another unfairness to pwME. I think if you have MS it's covered and legal + THS added (that I'm not interested in)...

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Can anyone recommend reputable, effective brands available in the UK. When I try Amazon I get a plethora of cheap hemp oils - too confusing. And what is the best way to take it (internal, external, with food etc) and what dose do you take?

11. erin

I recommend Endoca @Trish, and CBD oil suppositories (see above post).

I have never used THC, I think you need NHS prescription for this. This is also known as Rick Simpson's oil. It makes one high I guess, CBD doesn't. Hemp oil contains both CBD and THC, never tried.

The cheap stuff is usually hemp seed oil and it's a food supplement like fish oil etc. does not contain neither CBD nor THC.

CBD is used for epilepsy a lot, THS is for MS and cancer treatment. Either of them contains the other in small percentage. If THS content is more than %3, a prescription is needed in many countries.

I hope I summed up correctly, this is only what I understood about hemp products in general. But please do not rely on what I understand, I'm not the sharpest person unfortunately.

12. Arnie Pye

I only just noticed last night that there is a use by date on my bottle of May 2019. The shop I bought it from didn't store it in the fridge, so I hadn't stored it in the fridge either. There were no instructions on the box telling me to keep it cool.

I think you have misunderstood what is legally available in the UK. (Or perhaps I have.) There are no huge fields or greenhouses anywhere in the UK, as far as I know, of manufacturers growing the recreational drug forms of the cannabis plant. What they are allowed to grow is hemp, if they have the appropriate licences.

Both hemp and the recreational version of cannabis contain CBD. Both of them also contain THC (the psychoactive drug in the plant). But hemp contains miniscule amounts of THC. I think the amount of THC in hemp grown in the UK must be below a certain level, but I'm not sure what that level is, nor how it compares to the level in recreational cannabis. I'm sure the info must be available but I haven't looked it up.

So, the plethora of cheap hemp oils is what you are going to get. And what the hemp oil is used for is as the medium to supply the CBD. The CBD (cannabidiol) is the part of the plant that is supposed to have some therapeutic effect.

However, there are no claims of therapeutic effect on the bottle I bought. It is described as a "food supplement".

Wonko, erin and Trish like this.
  13. Arnie Pye

@erin

I didn't make it clear with my previous comment, but I was grumbling about the lack of proper instructions about storage, I wasn't ignoring what you said. :) :hug:

Trish and Wonko like this.
  14. erin

Oh no, it was clear @Arnie Pye I didn't think I was ignored, please don't worry about things like this. I was about to answer to you about this but I was distracted as usual and then I forgot to answer:bucktooth: typical:facepalm:

Back to the subject, Endoca instructs to keep them in a cool place/ fridge. I use their products so I follow their instructions. Ofcourse, this makes it impossible to drop them:(

Arnie Pye and Wonko like this.
  15. Wonko

My order of capsules from kingofcbd.co.uk has turned up, which isn't bad for christmas post.

Whether or not they do anything is unknown, regular sized capsules, not the small ones, not the big ones.

One thing that might be relevant if you have arthritis - they really don't want people getting into these things, bottle is sealed with what looks like a standard paper cover but when I tried to remove it, it splits into sheets and no matter how many of them you peel off, there's more - so probably best to just start with the pointy/knifey type device.

Once you get past this multipart barrier the anti rattle device isn't cotton wool, it's a fairly stiff foam, probably no problem to get out if I could get 2 fingers into the top of the bottle, but nope, that can't be done, so it's find a pair of needle nose pliers time.

Either that or make sure you have a child handy

Allele, Valentijn, erin and 3 others like this.
  16. Arnie Pye

@Wonko I hope they help you. If you remember, it would be helpful if you could write an update in a few weeks to tell us whether they were worth buying or not.

MeSci, erin, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I believe Holland and Barrett stock it @Trish

Arnie Pye, Indigophoton and Trish like this.
  18. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Arnie Pye, Trish and Indigophoton like this.
  19. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I watched an interview yesterday with Olivia Newton John who was talking about her use of CBD oil for her stage 4 cancer. She can walk again since using it for the pain in her spine where the cancer has spread to.

Trish and Arnie Pye like this.
  20. Wonko

Okay......initial impressions after 2 days/nights.

First day, took 1 capsule shortly after arrival, say 11am ish, stomach cramps within a few hours, but this may have been because the day before I'd started eating fresh fruit for the first time in several months, not an excessive amount of fruit but...it could have been that.

Took another capsule around 7pm, I had a rough night, but no actual pain, despite not taking my routine pain meds, however, I was overly hot, sweaty and got very little sleep. This is a considerable change from most nights in the last couple of months where I have been getting reasonable quality sleep, maybe not much some nights but what I have got has been fine. This may be unrelated as I have been feeling my pain meds were over the top for a couple of days, and I hadn't restarted my diabetes meds at this point, a test the next morning gave a reading of 16.1 mmol which is a little low to cause those types of symptoms, but it is possible, especially given I was up several times for toilet trips throughout the night. Took one of my diabetes meds upon discovering this.

Yesterday I only took 1 capsule around 9pm, no other pain meds. No cramps, BM issues etc. Around 3am I had to get up, not having got any sleep yet, to take about 10ml of oramorph due to "noise" breaking through and preventing me getting to sleep. Still too hot, sweaty etc. Checked BG this morning and it's 13.5mmol so took another diabetes tablet.

Over the last couple of days my appetite has been slightly excessive, which may explain why my BG is a little high, although not having taken any diabetes meds for over a week due to illness may also be an explanation ;)

I am not, so far, very impressed, it looks like I may need 3 a day of these things, "possibly" stepping down to 13mg a capsule rather than the 25mg these ones are, just to even things out, and it doesn't look like they are able to completely replace even the nightly maintenance dose of painkillers.

They do/may make the day a bit more comfortable, but at a price which is likely to be unaffordable (3 25mg capsules a day would work out to around £100 a month - or £60 for 3 13mg ones).

I suspect if you can afford them, and have a bit more practice dosing than I currently have, they may be moderately effective for certain types of pain, as well as helping with some background situations - supposition. But it appears likely I will not be able to afford to do this more than short term, I could possibly justify another bottle, but that's only 10 days worth, and as soon as something with a higher call on funds comes up........

erin and Arnie Pye like this.