1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Gene Expression Subtypes in Patients with CFS/ME, 2008, Kerr, Holgate et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hutan, May 29, 2022.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a multisystem disease, the pathogenesis of which remains undetermined. We set out to determine the precise abnormalities of gene expression in the blood of patients with CFS/ME. We analyzed gene expression in peripheral blood from 25 patients with CFS/ME diag- nosed according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention diagnostic criteria and 50 healthy blood donors, using a microarray with a cutoff fold difference of expression of 2.5. Genes showing differential expres- sion were further analyzed in 55 patients with CFS/ME and 75 healthy blood donors, using quantitative polymer- ase chain reaction.

Differential expression was confirmed for 88 genes; 85 were upregulated, and 3 were downreg- ulated. Highly represented functions were hematological disease and function, immunological disease and function, cancer, cell death, immune response, and infection. Clustering of quantitative polymerase chain reac- tion data from patients with CFS/ME revealed 7 subtypes with distinct differences in Medical Outcomes Survey Short Form-36 scores, clinical phenotypes, and severity.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1015.3216&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    Open access

hinterland, Ravn, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

An old paper (2008) on differential gene expression that I came across while looking for something else. Does anyone know if the techniques used and results are still considered robust and if the work was replicated?

There are some commonalities in the genes for which there are gene expression data in the recent fibromyalgia study - I have yet to compare them in detail.

I thought this was interesting in the light of the recent Gulf War Illness finding of an increased genetic susceptibility to sarin in people with Gulf War Illness, and wondered if the finding had been followed up:
    NTE is neuropathy target esterase.

alktipping, Lilas, ukxmrv and 2 others like this.
  3. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can ask Jonathan himself if you wish? I am in touch with him, have his contact details at Kings Lynn Norfolk.

4. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe ME after OP exposure subset isn't ME at all but actually a version of GWI, minus the having to go to war bit?

alktipping, Lilas, Mij and 5 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It would be intersting to look into the future to see whether what is currently defined as ME/CFS, on the basis of symptom based criteria, ends up as:

1. a series of more narrowly defined different conditions with different triggers, genetic predisposition and biomarkers, all under a general group with overlapping patterns of symptoms, but recognised as separate diseases;

Or

2. A single disease with a single biomarker and treatment, with a variety of triggers, genetic and environmental factors influencing the particular pattern of symptoms, severity and prognosis for each individual within that single disease;

Or
    3. Some of each or something else.

Michelle, Ravn, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  6. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Gene array approaches are generally seen as suspect. Take a small number of patients and controls, scan a huge number of genes and look for differences. I would be surprised if it replicates.

Single-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) is a more recent approach that is seen as more reliable for a range of reasons. I think Maureen Hanson's or Ian Lipkin's teams have used this approach (and with larger samples). Previous gene array studies (like the one discussed here) have gone nowhere.

FMMM1, Michelle, Ravn and 12 others like this.
  7. Hutan

Thanks @Simon M. The recent fibromyalgia study I mentioned above said something very similar that had had me wondering.

Michelle, Ravn, Snow Leopard and 5 others like this.