1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Fred Friedberg (University of Stonybrook) Hydrogen Rich Water; Heart rate variability biofeedback in CFS

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by dreampop, May 5, 2020.

1. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

via healthrising
    https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...water-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia-friedberg/

2. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm. From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_water:
    I wonder what outcome measurements the study uses, especially if they're going to focus on brain fog. By "controlled pilot trial", do they mean that there will be a placebo group? Seems essential given the woo-woo claims for hydrogen rich water.

But at least it should be a harmless supplement to try.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wondering what effect being 'hydrogen rich' has on the pH of water.

MEMarge, Sisyphus, Sarah94 and 4 others like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

From Wikipedia:
    So how is it stored in pills? And if you dissolve them to water, surely the H2 would just bubble quickly to the surface and be lost in the air.

From Healthline:
    The pills cost a lot.

5. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

As he summed up the scientific literature on the therapeutic uses of hydrogen, I got enthused about its potential...

When researchers get enthused about the potential of a novel idea/treatment, I get nervous.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    MEMarge, Ron, sebaaa and 9 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Double-blinded, placebo-controlled study:

These results suggest that HRW may reinforce QOL through effects that increase central nervous system functions involving mood, anxiety, and autonomic nervous function.

If this treatment improves autonomic function then that would be a plus.

Sean, Grigor, Andy and 3 others like this.
  7. Legend

Legend Established Member (Voting Rights)

I'm looking forward to read this study when it's over. For now I'm very skeptical.
    "Oh, so you have ME? Here, drink some water and become much better or cure it."
    That has been my dream last 4 years!

Ron, sebaaa, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If this 'treatment' helps improve autonomic issues for pwME, then that would improve QOL.

If I didn't have to lie down every half hour I would be a lot more functional!

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Without some special explanation as to why this does actually make sense when anyone who has done chemistry at school is likely to think it doesn't, I have to assume it is pseudoscience.

As far as I know we all generate our own hydrogen in quite considerable amounts - as one of the major constituents of flatus. It is said that medical students used to test this by lighting each other's farts.

Molecular hydrogen is fairly insoluble in water except under high pressure. It is also fairly inert under biological conditions as far as I know. I cannot think of any way to tore molecular hydrogen in a solid pill.

It would be intriguing to know if it really is possible.

MEMarge, Hutan, EzzieD and 13 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ik like how you phrased that sentence. It is said...

MEMarge, Hutan, TiredSam and 8 others like this.
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So it’s possibly not going to cause physical harm to those who rush to try it for themselves but as usual it will definitely damage their budgets. I find myself unable to summon any enthusiasm at all. Presumably one day someone is going to have some kind of genui breakthrough but I’m far to cynical to go for this. All I can hear in my head is magic water........

eta tweaked after seeing Wonkos subsequent post - concern that harmful effects may not be being looked for.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Sisyphus, alktipping, Andy and 2 others like this.
  13. Wonko

I wouldn't be so sure it's not harmful.

Gases dissolved in water can change the pH (acidity), CO2 dissolved in water is supposed to have changed the pH enough to cause problems for marine life, fish, plankton, reefs etc.

At least according to odd bits that have come up over the years, it's not just temperature causing problems for water borne life.

I have no idea what effect an extra 7% hydrogen in water would have, but that's significantly more than the percentage of squash I add to water and that makes a big difference ;)

...and at the end of the day, if it wasn't thought to do something, something that had a noticeable effect, then why bother - is anyone looking at the negative side of the coin.

14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Where does the 7% come from, Wonko?
    A review I read said they tested and it was 1.2 parts per million in their hydrogen water.

alktipping and Wonko like this.
  15. Wonko

Small eyesight malfunction is where it came from.

MEMarge, alktipping and Trish like this.
  16. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just wanted to add that we may be hearing more about Mitofusin-2 (MFN-2) in the future. Recall that Dr Davis mentioned a "sepsis-like" condition :

Regarding H2, Study in mice :

From another study, H2 in Lung Injury. I assume that MMP is Mitochondrial membrane Potential :

There are also a number of posts in PR about MFN-2 as early as 2013.

18. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And not unrelated to mitochondrial fusion, Interesting.

On another note, I can't help but wonder... if you take an H2 pill form and it really does work, is that creating a lot of bloating in the digestive track?

Perrier likes this.
  19. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Room temperature hydrogen? So, ahh, am supposta put that in the fridge, then the fuse-ion box.

20. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Biofeedback and Hydrogen Water as Treatments for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Detailed Description:
    The aim of this 10-week pilot study is to explore the potential benefit of two recently developed non-invasive interventions, heart rate variability biofeedback (HRV-BF) and over the counter (OTC) supplement hydrogen water, for the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Symptom measures and heart monitoring information will be generated by this study. Given the lack of effective treatments in this illness, these two non-invasive home-based treatments may help patients feel and function better.

Participants will be randomized to one of the three study condition, HRV-BF alone, hydrogen water alone or combined HRV-BF and hydrogen water. All interventions are home-based with no in person visits. All communications with participants will be via virtual call, phone call, email and land mail.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05397626?recrs=abdf&cond=ME/CFS&draw=3&rank=10

MEMarge, ahimsa and Peter Trewhitt like this.