1. Guest, 'News In Brief' from w/c 3rd Dec can be read here.
    Dismiss Notice

Filgotinib Improves fatigue in RA... would it do the same in me/cfs?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Jaybee00, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Established Member (Voting Rights)

2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not unless ME/CFS is mediated by that kinase pathway. In the absence of an acute phase protein response it is at first sight unlikely. It is possible that JAK kinase activation occurs hidden away somewhere like brain but as things are there is no particular reason to think it would work. In lots of diseases fatigue is a spin off from some fairly well understood pathway. In ME that does not seem to be the case.

3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the other place a certain doctor is supposed to be doing a trial on it, more details easily found by searching the drug name there

adambeyoncelowe and ladycatlover like this.
  4. energyoverload

energyoverload Established Member

I think this is unlikely to improve fatigue or PEM in most with ME as the evidence for TH1 cytokines appears only significant when stratifying by disease severity. It may contribute or be a secondary phenomenon but not likely the primary driver. I was most interested in this pathway as various cytokines can induce indoleamine dioxygenase thus increasing neurotoxin (quinolinic acid) production through in part tryptophan degradation. I tried a low tryptophan diet for 14 days with high dose branched chain amino acids (to compete with tryptophan at LNAA transporter for intestinal and blood brain barrier uptake). Unfortunately I didn't experience any perceptual improvement, although for one night my sleep randomly appeared to be normal, however this effect was not sustained.

Hutan and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. energyoverload

energyoverload Established Member