1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fibromyalgia Wikipedia Article and Reference Fraud

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and Connective Tissue Disorders' started by DigitalDrifter, Jan 10, 2021.

1. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibromyalgia#cite_note-Goldenberg1999-41

I was browsing the Fibromyalgia Wikipedia article when I came across this:
    The reference is:
    Goldenberg DL (April 1999). "Fibromyalgia syndrome a decade later: what have we learned?". Archives of Internal Medicine. 159 (8): 777–85. doi:10.1001/archinte.159.8.777. PMID 10219923.

So I decided to look it up. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/485015

The evidence clearly does not support the implied claim. This makes me wonder how many other references are misrepresented.

TiredSam, zzz, alktipping and 22 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tons.

zzz, Wits_End, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The whole article looks to be misleading make-believe to me. It just throws in a mass of conflicting pseudo facts without any indication, until maybe the end, that a lot of doctors don't really see what FM is supposed to mean.

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Misquoting references on Wikipedia is fine if it suits the narrative views of the dominant editors.

I managed to correct one of the misleading edits by James Heilman (who is basically the chief medical admin of Wikipedia) on the CFS page after a long discussion/mediation process. The worst part was after several years, he tried the same thing again with the same reference, hoping that no one would remember what happened several years earlier.

Fact is, if James Heilman does it, then it hardly bodes well for the rest of the Wikipedia editors.

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If someone asked me what fibromyalgia is, I would say it's an illness with widespread constant pain, possibly resulting from injury to the nervous system. With a high proportion having small fiber neuropathy.

How accurate is this? And what one impression does a reader get from reading wikipedia?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Difficult to know what it would mean for it to be accurate or inaccurate since nobody knows and nobody agrees.
    I very much doubt that most people diagnosed with fibromyalgia have any neuropathy.
    A high proportion of doctors who use the term use it mean that they don't think there is much wrong.

7. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are we talking about Fibromyalgia here or neuropathy? In my experience Fibromyalgia is a term often used by doctors to label a patient as hysterical, a hypochondriac, or "crazy", certainly nothing consequential.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.