1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fibromyalgia: an update on clinical characteristics, aetiopathogenesis and treatment, 2020, Sarzi-Puttini et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41584-020-00506-w
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1038/s41584-020-00506-w

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and Kitty like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Every single psychic séance is "tailored" to the client. As is every single pseudoscientific alternative treatment. This means absolutely nothing unless it is actually competent, which is almost never the case and universally not the case with anything BPS.
    Same energy. It is assumed here that the evidence must be competent. It is not in reality. This is a fundamental flaw that needs to be mended as it currently serves no useful purpose because of that irreconcilable flaw. There is plenty of evidence for every single alternative medicine out there. None of it good. Same for Reiki, Feng-shui as it is for anything MUS, BPS or FND.

One of the main flaws in EBM is precisely that a vast quantity of mediocre evidence that tells us nothing is used instead of high-quality evidence that could invalidate long-held assumptions. In that regard, EBM is the least desirable approach and it is not a coincidence that research in FM has yielded absolutely nothing while it is discriminated as a non-disease.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. EBM is just shooting wildly, never looking whether you hit the mark and just claim you did with an unhealthy dose of mathemagics. Absolutely ridiculous. Hindsight will not be kind to this nonsense.

alktipping likes this.
  3. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Many factors contribute to the development of fibromyalgia in a unique manner: genetic predisposition, personal experiences, emotional–cognitive factors, the mind–body relationship and a biopsychological ability to cope with stress."

The cause is not known yet by science.

The psych factors, that research which is endlessly cited means only that those factors are associated with fibro, not proven causes.

(Personally, I developed fibro during the most placid period of my life.)

I'll go with genetic cause, until we have the molecular story.

4. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my sister was diagnosed with f m after a truck crashed into her car she had some damage to her lower spine the area that keeps the hips attached cannot remember the name right now but it is frequently mentioned in creating chronic pain . i tried to get her to educate herself about it but she choses to live in ignorance which will make it easy for the insurance company to fob her of with a very low compensation pay out .

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very true that fibro can develop post injury or post surgery. Exact mechanism is unknown. Sorry about your sister.

alktipping and adambeyoncelowe like this.