1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Experimental encephalomyelitis at age 90, still relevant and elucidating how viruses trigger disease, 2023, Lawrence Steinman

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Mij, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20 yr ago, a tribute appeared in this journal on the 70th anniversary of an animal model of disseminated encephalomyelitis, abbreviated EAE for experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. “Observations on Attempts to Produce Disseminated Encephalomyelitis in Monkeys” appeared in the Journal of Experimental Medicine on February 21, 1933. Rivers and colleagues were trying to understand what caused neurological reactions to viral infections like smallpox, vaccinia, and measles, and what triggered rare instances of encephalomyelitis to smallpox vaccines. The animal model known as EAE continues to display its remarkable utility.

Recent research, since the 70th-anniversary tribute, helps explain how Epstein–Barr virus triggers multiple sclerosis via molecular mimicry to a protein known as GlialCAM. Proteins with multiple domains similar to GlialCAM, tenascin, neuregulin, contactin, and protease kinase C inhibitors are present in the poxvirus family. These observations take us a full circle back to Rivers’ first paper on EAE, 90 yrs ago.

https://rupress.org/jem/article-sta...xperimental-encephalomyelitis-at-age-90-still

RedFox, shak8, boolybooly and 2 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think one could also make a case for EAE being inhumane and having not made much difference to the development of understanding of MS. I have never been sure what it told us if anything. It is pretty cruel.

RedFox, Ash, shak8 and 6 others like this.