1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Experiences with Paxlovid

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by perchance dreamer, Nov 28, 2022.

1. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Recently, I got sick and tested for covid, which was negative. The next day I tested again, and this time it was positive. Not cool, birthday bunny!

I was so sick with fever, a dreadful cough, and nasal congestion. The cough bothered me the most. My husband was afraid I'd end up in the hospital.

Even though it was after hours on a Friday, I begged my P.A. for a Paxlovid prescription. I started it on day 4 or 5 after symptoms onset, which is pushing it a bit for Paxlovid. However, it helped tremendously with the symptoms. By the end of the 5-day course of Paxlovid, I was testing negative although I still had a few minor symptoms.

Paxlovid has many drug interactions, but the pharmacist cross checked it against my prescriptions and said I shouldn't have a problem with that.

Despite my best efforts to spare my husband from covid, he got it, unfortunately. Paxlovid helped him recover, too.

I noticed 2 things while on Paxlovid: I had a metallic, yucky taste in my mouth, which cleared very shortly after I had finished the drug, and my sleep was absolutely divine. The pharmacist had said Paxlovid can increase the effect of sleep prescriptions, so I reduced those prescriptions by half and still enjoyed great sleep.

I'd be interested to hear other people's experiences with Paxlovid.

AliceLily, RedFox, ahimsa and 13 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In many cases the remaining symptoms after infection are due to the immune system still being active, not so much the pathogen. I can stay sick for eight or nine months after I recover from an infection.

AliceLily, MeSci, Mij and 7 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:)

AliceLily, MeSci, Wits_End and 7 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

AliceLily, RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  5. AliceLily

AliceLily Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had to see my GP a couple of weeks ago and mentioned that I may be at greater risk if I catch Covid due to lung problems. She said I only meet 2 of the 3 criteria needed for Paxlovid.

Later when I got home I thought I better do a bit of research on Paxlovid in case my GP does prescribe it for me in the future.

I was taken aback when I read of a 'rebound reaction' that can occur. After finishing the course of Paxlovid you can get the Covid back with symptoms that seem even more severe. This reminded me of the flu-like cold that triggered my ME. I had been studying at the time and was having to sit an exam with a full-on cold. I bought a nasal spray to dry up the runny nose, it worked, but a few days later the cold came back with far far worse symptoms.

I decided to never again try to stop the natural progression of a cold again after that experience. Although with Covid I may just have to take my chances with Paxlovid.

6. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paxlovid rebound only occurs in 10-30% of people, and when it does, it's rarely serious. It seems to me like there's nothing to lose. If you get rebound your illness will probably be less severe than it would have been, since your adaptive immune system has more time to respond.