1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Even the Best Scientific Studies Can Lie: The Case of Craniosacral Therapy, 2020, Jarry (McGill) meta-analyses

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Andy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://mcgill.ca/oss/article/pseud...fic-studies-can-lie-case-craniosacral-therapy

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ha, I knew it...

In my last year at Osteopathy college we were given a special course on the exciting new treatment called Cranial Osteopathy or CranioSacral therapy. The patient lay on their back and you held their head cupped in your hands with your finger tips placed along the base of the skull and you were supposed to be able to feel the 'pulse' of the cerebrospinal fluid. Needless to say I felt nothing, either as therapist or patient. Some of my fellow students convinced themselves they were feeling it...

I can't remember exactly what the treatment we were taught involved, but it seemed to be gentle changes in pressure you applied to parts of the neck and skull.

Some years later a friend and fellow osteopath offered me some free Cranial treatment for my ME. It was a pleasant relax, but needless to say it made f*** all difference to my ME.

It's bunkum.

Hutan, Sean, Barry and 12 others like this.
  3. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

A friend of my wife is a practitioner. She performed her art upon my head in our kitchen. My duties as a polite host prevented me from saying "but this is a whole load of ridiculous horse-shit" so I went along with it, much as I would have if someone has asked me if I'd like to hear their two-year-old singing a new song.

MEMarge, Hutan, Sean and 11 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's distraction therapy- diverting attention from your wallet.

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ah yes, I've been offered craniosacral therapy as a 'cure' for ME.

Apparently this person was cured of her 'CFS' by it so she became a practitioner herself in order to 'help more people'. (Although given the length of time she was ill, she most likely had a post-viral condition that she spontaneously recovered from.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020