1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Evaluation of Fatigue in Cancer Patients in An Area Affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake, 2020, Sato

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, http://www.apjon.org/article.asp?is...issue=2;spage=203;epage=208;aulast=Sato#ref11

Chronic fatigue syndrome would appear to be assessed according to criteria from this, Establishment of objective fatigue diagnosis method and creation of chronic fatigue diagnosis guidelines for patients complaining of chronic fatigue with autonomic dysfunction, [In Japanese] https://www.fuksi-kagk-u.ac.jp/guide/efforts/research/kuratsune/h23/pdf/h23houkoku.pdf.
    I doubt very much, although can't know for certain, that we would recognise the criteria as having any value to ME research.

Hutan likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"What if we actually compared apples and oranges?" said very weird people.

Really starting to think that the main reason medical research is so expensive is because so much of it serves absolutely no purpose and has no chance whatsoever of providing anything of value, that there is a tendency to fund familiar research guaranteed to fail over groundbreaking research that is uncertain and this is where most of the funds get wasted.

There's no denying that had the ME patient community been given adequate funds straight up we would have produced results at a pace 10-100x, if not more, what even a properly funded effort would have yielded. It really looks like this may be a universal truth. We would at least have chosen qualified professionals willing and able to work the problem, which is surprisingly important when trying to solve a complex problem. Surprising to some anyway.

There's some truth to the fact that scientific discoveries often happen by accident but you can't actually have positive accidents if you are way out there in Imaginationland, you actually have to be digging in the right place to begin with.

alktipping and shak8 like this.