1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Epstein-Barr Virus and the Origin of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2021, Manuel Ruiz-Pablos et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Manuel, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Manuel

Manuel Established Member

After a long time and a lot of work, our hypothesis on the development of ME/CFS following an Epstein Barr virus infection has finally been published:

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...journalName=Frontiers_in_Immunology&id=656797

I would like to thank Dr. Bruno Paiva's team at CIMA of the University of Navarra, Aintzane Zabaleta and Solve ME/CFS initiative for making this project possible.
    Soon we will be able to start with the study in ME/CFS patients. I will give more information later.

Best regards,
    Manuel.

If you want to collaborate helping the research with a donation, you can do it in the following link:
    https://helpify.es/comunidades/todo-por-la-causa-del-sindrome-de-la-fatiga-cronica/

oldtimer, Hutan, Dolphin and 36 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting this, @Manuel.

Here's the first section of the paper, which I have split into shorter paragraphs for ease of reading:

Epstein-Barr Virus and the Origin of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Manuel Ruiz-Pablos1*, Bruno Paiva2, Rosario Montero-Mateo3, Nicolas Garcia2 and Aintzane Zabaleta2*
    • 1Faculty of Medicine of the European University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
    • 2Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Centro de Investigación Medica Aplicada (CIMA), IdiSNA, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
    • 3Department of Pediatrics, Hospital Clínico San Carlos, Madrid, Spain
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) affects approximately 1% of the general population. It is a chronic, disabling, multi-system disease for which there is no effective treatment. This is probably related to the limited knowledge about its origin.

Here, we summarized the current knowledge about the pathogenesis of ME/CFS and revisit the immunopathobiology of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection. Given the similarities between EBV-associated autoimmune diseases and cancer in terms of poor T cell surveillance of cells with EBV latency, expanded EBV-infected cells in peripheral blood and increased antibodies against EBV, we hypothesize that there could be a common etiology generated by cells with EBV latency that escape immune surveillance.

Albeit inconclusive, multiple studies in patients with ME/CFS have suggested an altered cellular immunity and augmented Th2 response that could result from mechanisms of evasion to some pathogens such as EBV, which has been identified as a risk factor in a subset of ME/CFS patients. Namely, cells with latency may evade the immune system in individuals with genetic predisposition to develop ME/CFS and in consequence, there could be poor CD4 T cell immunity to mitogens and other specific antigens, as it has been described in some individuals.

Ultimately, we hypothesize that within ME/CFS there is a subgroup of patients with DRB1 and DQB1 alleles that could confer greater susceptibility to EBV, where immune evasion mechanisms generated by cells with latency induce immunodeficiency. Accordingly, we propose new endeavors to investigate if anti-EBV therapies could be effective in selected ME/CFS patients.

oldtimer, Hutan, shak8 and 24 others like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Congratulations @Manuel, i am thankful for your work and look forward to read the paper and to see what drug could possibly be helpful

oldtimer, Manuel, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How does this explain ME/CFS cases for patients who repeatedly test negative for any sign of EBV? (using multiple labs, both serology and PCR)

FMMM1, Wonko, oldtimer and 1 other person like this.