1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Epidemiology and organ specific sequelae of post-acute COVID19 A Narrative Review, 2021, Korompoki et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Dolphin, May 17, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure whether this deserves its own thread or not

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(21)00247-4/fulltext

REVIEW|ARTICLES IN PRESS
    Epidemiology and organ specific sequelae of post-acute COVID19: A Narrative Review
    Published:May 13, 2021
    DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2021.05.004

Objectives
    “Long COVID”, a term coined by COVID-19 survivors, describes persistent or new symptoms in a subset of patients who have recovered from acute illness. Globally, the population of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 continues to expand rapidly, necessitating the need for a more thorough understanding of the array of potential sequelae of COVID-19.
    The multisystemic aspects of acute COVID-19 have been the subject of intense investigation, but the long–term complications remain poorly understood. Emerging data from lay press, social media, commentaries, and emerging scientific reports suggest that some COVID-19 survivors experience organ impairment and/or debilitating chronic symptoms, at times protean in nature, which impact their quality of life.
    Methods/Results
    In this review, by addressing separately each body system, we describe the pleiotropic manifestations reported post COVID-19, their putative pathophysiology and risk factors, and attempt to offer guidance regarding work-up, follow-up and management strategies. Long term sequelae involve all systems with a negative impact on mental health, well-being and quality of life, while a subset of patients, report debilitating chronic fatigue, with or without other fluctuating or persistent symptoms, such as pain or cognitive dysfunction. Although the pathogenesis is unclear, residual damage from acute infection, persistent immune activation, mental factors, or unmasking of underlying co-morbidities are considered as drivers. Comparing long COVID with other post viral chronic syndromes may help to contextualize the complex somatic and emotional sequalae of acute COVID-19. The pace of recovery of different aspects of the syndrome remains unclear as the pandemic began only a year ago.
    Conclusions
    Early recognition of long-term effects and thorough follow-up through dedicated multidisciplinary outpatient clinics with a carefully integrated research agenda are essential for treating COVID-19 survivors holistically.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm a simple person, I see "holistic" and I stop giving a damn about anything that follows or precedes or simply is it. All this tells me is that it's not serious, I have never seen any use in a published article that served any purpose other than as a warning that it's not worth a quick skim.

Stop bringing alternative medicine into medicine, all you do is make medicine worse while bringing the worst aspects of woo.

Mij and Peter Trewhitt like this.