1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

England, Bristol: Using and understanding research evidence workshop

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Simbindi, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an opportunity for members of the public to attend a free workshop:

'The workshop will give you an introduction to research and the tools and skills needed to find research evidence relating to health and assess its reliability.'

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/usin...e-wednesday-24-april-2019-tickets-57706934996

The Bristol workshop is run by:

http://www.phwe.org.uk/

In the past I have attended the equivalent version in Devon organised by:

http://clahrc-peninsula.nihr.ac.uk/patient-and-public-involvement-in-research

It was surprisingly good, especially considering it was run for members of the public, many of whom had no prior experience in scientific or health research. I was particularly impressed by the stats guy from Exeter University - he was far superior to the stats lecturers who taught on both my BSc and MSc Psychology degrees back in the 90's!

I obviously do not know how good the Bristol version is.

There are probably similar opportunities around the country.

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MEMarge and andypants like this.
  3. Simbindi

Amw66, Esther12 and andypants like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm wondering if they're offering a similar workshop to all their psych researchers. It could prove enlightening.
    ;)

andypants, Simbindi, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  5. Simbindi

I don't think the people who run PHWE have any influence on the research being done by University of Bristol. It really wouldn't be appropriate to use the workshop for this purpose as it is designed as a learning opportunity for members of the public.

It may be appropriate to use SMILE, FINE and PACE as examples of poor research (in the way that Brian Hughes has used PACE) but with an awareness of the other attendees needs (many of whom will lack a background in science).

Edit: This course will be being organised and primarily delivered by their 'Patient and Public Involvement' team, which are not able to influence the research standards in the University of Bristol health departments etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  6. Simbindi

Well, they definitely would have benefited from the workshop I attended at Exeter! As would the PACE authors...