1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Electroacupuncture improves cognitive function by inhibiting NF-κB activity in rats with chronic fatigue syndrome], 2021, Feng et al

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Andy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Objective: To observe the effect of electroacupuncture (EA) on the expression of NF-κB p65 in hippocampus and the morphology of hippocampus in rats with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), so as to explore its mechanism in improving cognitive dysfunction of CFS.

Methods: Forty-eight SD rats were randomly divided into control, model, EA and inhibitor groups (n=12 in each group). The CFS model was established by multi-factor compound stress stimulation method. Rats of the EA group received EA (50 Hz, 1 mA) at "Baihui" (GV20), Emotional Area I and bilateral Sensory Area for 30 min, once daily for 15 days. For rats in the inhibitor group, pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (100 mg·kg-1·d-1) was injected intraperitoneally, once a day for 15 days. Learning and memory ability was evaluated by Morris water maze test. HE staining was used to observe the morphology of hippocampus. Western blot was used to determine the expression level of NF-κB p65 in hippocampus.

Results: After mode-ling, the general status score was increased (P<0.01), the escape latency was prolonged(P<0.01), the times of crossing the platform was decreased(P<0.01), and the expression level of NF-κB p65 in hippocampus tissue was significantly increased (P<0.05) in the model group compared with the control group. Compared with the model group, the general status score was decreased (P<0.01), the escape latency was shortened(P<0.01), the times of crossing the platform was increased(P<0.01), and the expression level of NF-κB p65 in hippocampus tissue was significantly decreased (P<0.05) in the EA and inhibitor groups. HE staining showed that in the model group, the hippocampal nerve cells were arranged disorderly, the structure was loose, and the number of apoptotic bodies and inflammatory cells was significantly increased. The degree of tissue damage of the EA and inhibitor groups was milder than that of the model group.

Conclusion: EA can improve the cognitive function in CFS rats, which may be associated with its effect in inhibiting the expression of NF-κB and reducing the inflammation response in hippocampus.

English abstract on PubMEd, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34558244/
    Paper in Chinese, https://kns.cnki.net/kcms/detail/detail.aspx?doi=10.13702/j.1000-0607.200827

Hutan, Starlight and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No need to read beyond that.

3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can't even clinically verify ME in humans, and going by questioning humans (who can communicate in words) is fraught with difficulties, so any claims for rats with ME seems kind of meaningless.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

This is annoying on so many levels. I started out feeling dreadfully sorry for the rats, who were put through this for no good reason. I ended up also feeling dreadfully sorry for all the people with ME/CFS who are now going to have well-meaning relatives encouraging them to try this 'cure'.

Wyva, Frankie, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  5. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wish I hadn't clicked on this. Maybe one day in the future human beings will look back on such gratuitous, pointless, barbaric practises with horror. That's if we make it. Maybe the rats will have the last laugh.

Frankie, Hutan and Possibly James May like this.