1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial: Lancet: Long COVID: 3 years in, 2023

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Andy, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"March 11 marks 3 years since WHO declared COVID-19 to be a pandemic. While the world is determined to move on from the acute phase, at least 65 million people are estimated to struggle with long COVID, a debilitating post-infection multisystem condition with common symptoms of fatigue, shortness of breath, and cognitive dysfunction, impairing their ability to perform daily activities for several months or years. Although the majority of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 recover within a few weeks, long COVID is estimated to occur in 10–20% of cases and affects people of all ages, including children, with most cases occurring in patients with mild acute illness. The consequence is widespread global harm to people's health, wellbeing, and livelihoods—an estimated one in ten people who develop long COVID stop working, resulting in extensive economic losses. In 2021, we called for a coordinated research and health-care agenda to tackle this new medical challenge. However, progress has been excruciatingly slow due to lack of attention and resources."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)00493-2/fulltext

Wonko, RedFox, MEMarge and 5 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they are trying very hard to find out who caused this. Very, very hard.

[​IMG]

Lou B Lou, Amw66, Wonko and 6 others like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The clear implication being that psychosomatic illness is not taken seriously.

Amw66, NelliePledge, Wonko and 9 others like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lets just edit it a bit...
    Acute illness, and chronic illness with recognised biomarkers receives an appropriate response from governments, international organisations, pharmaceutical companies, and civil society & the medical profession. Long VIRUS/INFECTION (now called ME/CFS) has not received anywhere near the same level of attention or resources: the result has been widespread harm to health, societies, and economies. Roughly 100 years in, more is needed to recognise, treat, and support patients with ME/CFS.

I wonder how it will be reported on in 2123, i wonder whether things will be any different, because at the rate things are going...

Lou B Lou, Amw66, Wonko and 8 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)00493-2/fulltext

So they are saying psychosomatic conditions are not taken seriously. If an ME patient said that, then they would be told they are stigmatising mental health by the likes of Max Pemberton.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/8641007/Protesters-have-got-it-all-wrong-on-ME.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2023
    Mij, Solstice, Sean and 8 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No one really takes psychosomatism seriously. It's all for show when they pretend otherwise. Deep down they know there is no actual evidence for any of this, but it's a con, where expressing confidence is the whole thing, so it goes with huffing and puffing when people point out that it's a hollow construct that no one takes seriously, most of all the people who are behind the theories.

But those ideas can't be reconciled. The emperor has clothes. They are made of golden thread. Pointing out that the emperor is naked is therefore not admissible. Even though everyone can see the imperial dong, it just can't be said out loud, instead there has to be huffing and puffing about how obviously there is an imperial golden robe.

Mij, EzzieD, Sean and 4 others like this.