1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Eastern Daily Press: ME sufferer was told by doctors condition was 'in her head'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Eastern Daily Press: ME sufferer was told by doctors condition was 'in her head'

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/emily-canwood-from-fulmodeston-on-suffering-from-me-1-6440557

A woman left bedbound with an incurable illness revealed her fight simply to be believed.

Emily Canwood, 24, spends most of her day lying in darkness and silence having been struck down with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME).

Now housebound and reliant on her husband Nathan, 26, to care for her, Mrs Canwood told how her life was turned upside down after falling ill following a car crash in 2013.

She was diagnosed with ME two years ago but said many people refuse to accept her illness is real.

Mrs Canwood, from Fulmodeston, near Fakenham, said: "90pc of the time I am in bed, in the dark and in silenceā€¦

Trish, DokaGirl, MeSci and 3 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ugh, these headlines...

Trish, DokaGirl, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So weird that what the NHS advises is what happens in practice. Not a bug, it's a feature. It's horrific and cruel but it's what is recommended in practice and so this is what happens.

Turns out leaving sick people to fend for themselves is bad for them. Uh. Who knew? Clearly not the physicians who made those recommendations. But it's OK, it doesn't affect them so no foul, just lots and lots of harm, deliberate, cruel harm.

Frankly, even bloodletting was less idiotic than this. At least at the time there was genuine ignorance. Denial of reality is just about the worst possible excuse.

Invisible Woman, shak8, Amw66 and 2 others like this.