1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dr Myhill’s complaint to GMC about PACE authors.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Robert 1973, Jan 15, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@MeSci on the list adopted means someone has taken on the responsibility of lobbying that MP, the ones in red/bold are those who have signed up as supporters

MEMarge, andypants, Joh and 3 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh right. What do you mean by 'someone'?

3. NelliePledge

I mean a person with ME, or supporter of person with ME who has contacted Craig Robinson/Dr Myhill's team to say they will attempt to meet up with and persuade an MP to sign up.

MEMarge, andypants, Binkie4 and 4 others like this.
  4. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see my MP has signed! (That's not due to me as I haven't contacted her about this)

5. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mainly because the whole thread appears to implicate Wessely (so he can be added to the complaint) and because it's showing up the multiple flaws in their study. Godwin is highly respected, so his comments are very quotable. I would love it, in fact, if he were asked to give a testimony and did so.

MEMarge, NelliePledge, Inara and 2 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

I can see that he's highly respected generally but as a non medic would his comments cut any ice with the British Medical Establishment

7. LightHurtsME

LightHurtsME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just catching up on this thread. I have no words about how incredibly sad this is. Besides the GP's attitude, what strikes me about this is that how isolated people with ME and their carers can become and how separated and invisible in a community. The fact that if the GP didn't co-operate, there wasn't anyone else they could call on to help - at least to a minimum standard to ensure survival.

8. NelliePledge

9. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@NelliePledge - help -i am brainfogged to the extreme having crossed the Atlantic both ways in the last 2 weeks.
    Could you say a bit more about the difference between adopters and supporters ( signed in red)?
    I think I understand supporters but MPs as adopters? I hope to see my MP tomorrow- need to be a bit clearer about what I am asking him.

adambeyoncelowe, MeSci and andypants like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it would. Doctors spend most of their time with their heads down trying to have a quiet life grinding away at what they are supposed to do. If Simon Wessely says CBT and Get are good that will do. They assume that nobody outside medicine is interested. But if some smart literate lawyer starts saying the PACE trial is a joke they are very likely to say 'Oh, er, really, what, gosh, hang on, have I read the paper? er no, maybe I should, gosh doesn't a bit of gossip brighten up the day sometimes?' If enough doctors go through that process there may come a time when, God forbid, they start saying 'er, actually, has Emperor Wessely got any clothes on today?' 'We are used to seeing his bad patch but, er, there seems to be a bit more pink than that now that I think of it.'

When a ship sinks, however slowly, people eventually have to get in the lifeboats and they don't go back. If they see a clever lawyer fellow nipping into a lifeboat they take note.

11. NelliePledge

the MPs in red are the ones who have been spoken to by constituents and have signed up to supporting Dr Ms call for an Inquiry
    the MPs listed in black have not yet signed up to Dr Ms proposed Inquiry but a person with ME has adopted the MP and is taking the responsibility for persuading them to sign up
    If an MP is not listed at all then Dr Ms team are still looking for a person with ME to adopt them

is that any better

12. Binkie4

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If that became a common response it might change everything. Some of the flaws are obscure, but some are very blatant and easy to spot. First, however, you have to actually read the papers.

14. NelliePledge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44542622

it appears Norman Lamb has had a critical role on the NHS scandal in the news today - when he was health minister he decided an investigation was needed - so a good person to have involved on ME. would be good if he is able to make an intervention in tomorrows debate

15. NelliePledge

hope you got on ok @Binkie4

16. Binkie4

Yes. He has another commitment but hopes to be there for part of Carol's debate. We focussed our discussion on that hopefully to some effect.

I have an appointment at the Brompton tomorrow, leaving home about 2.30pm.

Will this debate be recorded? I will listen to the first hour then leave, hopefully pick up the rest later.

17. NelliePledge

its going to be livestreamed and I assume there will also be a recording, there should be a written transcript of proceedings the next day

ETA sorry pressed go before saying well done for the face to face briefing :thumbup:

18. Binkie4

Merged thread

A report from Dr Myhill on the GMC, MAIMES and Dr Jane Barton-30th June 2018

A rather interesting insight into the GMC and its workings. Dr Myhill's case was being heard at a similar time to Dr Jane Barton's.

( Rather a shame that Dr Myhill was inaccurate in saying that Wessely was a Pace author. If anyone Is in contact with her, please could you clarify.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOLVruElJU

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2021
  19. adambeyoncelowe

Is this an old video? I feel like I've seen it before.

Since then, I think she has addressed the Wessely error. She has had to make the case to the GMC about why he should be included, I think, so someone obviously pointed out he wasn't an author. However, he was involved as a centre coordinator (or whatever term was used), as per the published paper. So arguably he was involved--it's just whether the GMC see it that way.

alktipping and Inara like this.
  20. adambeyoncelowe

I stand corrected. It says it was published on the 30 June.

alktipping, Inara and Binkie4 like this.