1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Pseudomonas aeruginosa Colonization Affect Exercise Capacity in Cystic Fibrosis?, 2019, Hatziagorou et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://new.hindawi.com/journals/pm/2019/3786245/

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Cystic Fibrosis

Hutan and Trish like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think they are saying that colonisation with pseudomonas even if it is not actually causing infection can still impact exercise capacity and be causing damage to the lungs.

It is an important finding for a terrible disease but has no relevance for us as far as I can see.

Though when I think about it, the idea that bacteria, and then maybe viruses, can be having an impact on patients even if there is no active infection might be important for us. Those who developed ME after an infection may still be suffering.

Then, there is the wider implication. An infection is recognised by the signs that come from the immune system fighting off the invader. Maybe there are bacteria and viruses which cause as much damage in the body but the immune system does not recognise them so none of the usual signs of infection are there. Enteroviruses spring to mind ....

Lisa108 likes this.