1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone use Topical Capsaicin Cream?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Squeezy, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Squeezy

Squeezy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm in a crash, and my joints are all hurting horribly, most of the time. My shins ache and my ankles throb. My toe bones kill. I don't get muscle pain with my ME - is that unusual? It's always these things that hurt me, especially with PEM.

Aspirin, nurofen and paracetamol have no effect. I can't take anything stronger because they're counter-indicated with my migraine medication - they could cause Medication Overuse Migraines.

So topical analgesia looks like a good option. But it has to have no odour.

I've read mixed things about lidocaine, and I don't know if it could be a problem with my chronic migraine meds.

Has anyone used a Topical Capsaicin Cream? Particularly on bone areas? Did it help? If so, please tell me how you got on with it, and what it was.

Many thanks,

Squeezy :inlove:

2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was prescribed one by my GP years ago, for night-time muscle pain. They seem to work in part at least by distracting you from the muscle pain by heating up the skin; it didn't help me enough to put up with the skin sensation, which I found a bit unpleasant. The 'magic spray' used on footballers (freeze spray) worked much, much better as a short-term strategy to help me get to sleep (it does have a smell, though). I'm afraid I can't remember whether the capsaicin cream did, as it's 20 years ago and I wasn't especially susceptible to odours...I certainly don't think it was anything like the chemical pong of the freeze spray.

3. hellytheelephant

hellytheelephant Senior Member (Voting Rights)

HI @Squeezy - I am in the same state as you very regularly. I use topical heat a lot- electric heat pad, hot water bottle, and heat pad you heat in the microwave. I have never found anything you rub in helped at all- but everyone is different.

DokaGirl and Squeezy like this.
  4. Squeezy

Oh the freeze sprays, with their menthol pong @Kitty :confused: Or Deep Heat. Urghhhhhh!

The skin heating up - hadn't thought of that as an effect of capsaicin. Makes sense as it's essentially hot pepper cream!
    Not sure if I'd welcome that distraction or not. Only one way to find out...

The NHS prescribes it for ostoarthritis, and peripheral neuropathic pain, as well as herpes zoster shingles pain. So I guess it penetrates the skin and does it's stuff with the nerves. Or it's a placebo to throw at the whiners.

@hellytheelephant I'm so sorry you also have this kind of pain. It's frustrating and annoying, in it's relentlessness. I feel besieged by it. Like my body is a fortress that hoards are trying to take by siege. And they're bloody beating me black and blue with cudgels!

Heat is a hard one for me. I just hate heat. I'm very heat sensitive and my personal thermostat is broken. I've tried microwave heat socks, and they dull the pain a bit, but make me feel odd and ill. It seems impossible to get relief from heat at the low levels I can tolerate. I hope it brings you relief :hug:

I'd rather roll around in snow for my joints :laugh:
    Cold is my thing. Incredible on my brain pain. But no help with this pain.

Too many joints, too much pain! :arghh:

Marijuana? Hmmm. Never liked it as a student, but I was healthy 25 years ago... Need a nap. Will investigate later.

5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use capsaicin cream for my arthritic knees and back pain, as well as for fibromyalgia muscle areas in my mid-back. It is recommended by arthritis doctors because it is effective and has been studied. It doesn't work instantaneously though. Get the highest strength for the best effect

It works well on mild to moderate pain. But, the main drawback is transferring the cream to your fingers and then to your eyes (which will burn, but water helps). Use gloves to apply. Should work on bony feet, as is recommended for knees.

I also use another cream, one with menthol 17% and camphor 11% (Icyhot Advanced in the states) for instant relief of muscle aches, for instance in the middle of the night. Works well for a short period of time (enough to get back to sleep).

Squeezy likes this.
  6. Squeezy

Thanks @shak8 Great idea to apply with gloves. I am the kind of person who will stick a finger in my eye.

I'm really glad that you get relief of your pain with these topical creams. I wish I could tolerate those menthol and camphor smells!

I'll try and get some high strength capsaicin cream and report back on this thread if it's helped or not.

hellytheelephant and shak8 like this.
  7. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Squeezy

I use a topical MSM/Glucosamine cream - mild, temporary relief - but it has a fragance - not horrible, but for those sensitive to smells maybe not good.
    From the list of ingredients, it doesn't seem to have capsaicin in it.

I use capsules of Glucosamine/Chrondroitin sulfate and separately, MSM (Methyl-sulfonyl-methane).

I find, for me, both these supplements do help, but it can take time.

I understand these products do not work for everyone.

I have read that MSM and GLS/CS may anti-inflammatory effects; best to look this up for yourself though.

An interesting, although lengthy article about MSM on the U.S. National Library of Medicine website:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5372953/

I use the GLS/CS combo to help repair injuries to my knees, and other joints.

There is lots of conflicting info about GLS/CS, as to whether it is effective.

I think it works, but it takes many weeks to months, and I have read all three of these products don't work for everyone.

Our first early, and informative experience with GLS/CS was when a vet recommended it for our dog who had severe osteoarthritis.

The vet advised a large dose for our dog - more than we thought given her weight, but she seemed to have no ill effects from it.

In a few months, she was like a younger dog; rather amazing; not a miracle, but certainly a noticeable improvement in mobility.

Here is an article, also lengthy about GLS/CS on the U.S. National Library of Medicine website:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5241539/

Apologies, as I have only very briefly scanned both these articles.

ETA: we came across this veterinary article about osteoarthritis. This website is recommended by vets. I know you weren't talking about OA, but the supplements I mentioned are also used for OA:https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&id=4951467

8. Squeezy

Thanks @DokaGirl. I'll look at all that info about glucosamine. My joints are driving me up the wall.

I really appreciate you taking the time to send me all the info. :hug:

DokaGirl likes this.
  9. Squeezy

Thanks @DokaGirl for all that information on glucosamine. I'll definitely look into it. My joints, and the bones above my ankles, are driving me up the wall.

Annamaria likes this.
  10. Squeezy

11. DokaGirl

Squeezy likes this.
  12. DokaGirl

@Squeezy

Just a word about MSM and possible GI disturbance - you might want to check out websites on this. I find it's OK, but an alternative health care practitioner I saw quite some time ago, said GI disturbance may be a problem so to not take large doses of MSM. Their advice was to take X amount, and if no problems then gradually work up to another level. Can't recall the exact details regarding dosages, but thought I should include this bit of info.

Squeezy likes this.
  13. Squeezy

Great to know, thanks. I very much appreciate warnings about GI symptoms!