1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone else have jerking caused by movement?

Discussion in 'General and other signs and symptoms' started by BeautifulDay, Nov 29, 2017.

1. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

Besides the normal myoclonic jerks that just appear out of nowhere, I also get jerks that happen unexpectedly when I move.

For example, I can move my mouse and my hand will jerk past where I wanted and my pointer is not where I wanted it, I can grab for a cup and jerk to the right knocking over both my and my husbands cups, and I can push a button on the keyboard and have a jerk that results in a double push of the button.

Does anyone else experience these motion induced jerks?

Inara, Diwi9, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds like action myoclonus as per the Wiki entry :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

Inara and BeautifulDay like this.
  4. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had this problem. I take magnesium supplements (magnesium citrate - I alternate between 200mg and 400mg per day, and on occasional days I don't take any) and potassium supplements (I take 99mg x 1 or 2 per day, and on occasional days I take none). If I stop either of these supplements for more than a few days I get random twitching and jerking coming back, which is very annoying when using a mouse or when trying to write or when holding a book and reading.

I also get benign fasciculations when I stop magnesium and/or potassium which I've always found very unpleasant. Some (strange) people film these happening and post the videos on Youtube, if you want to see them :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEgmJFErLGE

Inara, zzz, Diwi9 and 1 other person like this.
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really annoying when you have sat down for a nice glass of wine on the sofa and the wine jumps out of the glass and into your lap.

Luckily it was red wine as opposed to a nice chilled glass of Gavi :emoji_astonished:

Inara, Louie41 and Wonko like this.
  6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its not likely but it could be a type of secondary Parkinsons.

7. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had episodes, not as severe as what you mention. It comes out most in my hands, when I'm trying to type or text and movement becomes jerky/spastic.