1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dilated peripheral veins

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Sjr88, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Sjr88

Sjr88 New Member

Hi everyone

For the past year I’ve been experiencing episodes where the veins in my arms/hands and legs/feet are very dilated. I first noticed it when my hands started to hurt when I had them down by my sides, they felt like they were about to burst. I also had a bounding wrist pulse. Fast forward to now and It feels like they are now almost permanently dilated and my wrist pulse always feels very strong. I’ve been to the doctor a couple of times about it and they don’t really understand what’s going on. I’ve been doing my blood pressure at home when it happens and I’m getting anywhere from 130/80 to 115/60 - I’ve used a couple of different monitors and they all seem fairly similar. When the doc measured he got 138/80. I really am at a loss as to what could be causing it, could it be some kind of dysautonomia or is it cardiovascular in nature? Has anyone else had this symptom?

2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know this symptom. It's associated with POTS.

4. MerryB

MerryB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't say for sure that it's the same as what I have but I have pots and I take medication to constrict my veins (Midodrine) which does help me with this sensation.

Do you also have orthostatic Intolerance? For me the peripheral dilation leads to blood pooling when upright and makes me feel very unwell with hypotension and tachycardia, so the doc gives me some meds to help with it. Hope you find something that helps!