1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Defining Post-COVID Symptoms (Post-Acute COVID, Long COVID, Persistent Post-COVID): An Integrative Classification, 2021, Fernández-de-las-Peñas et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by rvallee, Mar 11, 2021.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pandemic of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has provoked a second pandemic, the “long-haulers”, i.e., individuals presenting with post-COVID symptoms. We propose that to determine the presence of post-COVID symptoms, symptoms should appear after the diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection; however, this situation has some problems due to the fact that not all people infected by SARS-CoV-2 receive such diagnosis.

Based on relapsing/remitting nature of post-COVID symptoms, the following integrative classification is proposed: potentially infection related-symptoms (up to 4–5 weeks), acute post-COVID symptoms (from week 5 to week 12), long post-COVID symptoms (from week 12 to week 24), and persistent post-COVID symptoms (lasting more than 24 weeks).

The most important topic is to establish the time reference points. The classification also integrates predisposing intrinsic and extrinsic factors and hospitalization data which could promote post-COVID symptoms. The plethora of symptoms affecting multiple systems exhibited by “long-haulers” suggests the presence of different underlying mechanisms.

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/18/5/2621/htm

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2021
    Ravn, DokaGirl, Snow Leopard and 2 others like this.
  2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

what exactly changed in medicine that made long covid the exception ie post viral syndromes .

Ravn, Louie41, DokaGirl and 3 others like this.
  3. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think from now on I'll call my problem persistent post-mono syndrome, aka long mono, maybe it'll help. :bag:

Ravn, rainy, Louie41 and 7 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably the number of medical practitioners who were affected all at once.

FMMM1, Wyva, Ravn and 11 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That and the fact that the world's media is focused on Covid. It will be way more difficult to sweep under the rug than ME was.

Starlight, alktipping, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  6. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Aha!;)

7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why do they feel the need to mention “integrative”? I don’t get it

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    DokaGirl, alktipping and Ravn like this.
  8. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so sure. I have a horrible feeling that once we're post-pandemic the world will just want to move on and not be reminded of tough times by those pesky long-haulers. Seems to be what happens after disasters of every kind. All people want to do is focus single-mindedly on building back their lives. Those too damaged to do so, in this case the long-haulers but it could be war veterans or earthquake survivors, initially get sympathy though usually without enough practical help, and after a while people tire of them and just want them to go away, reasoning that surely they should have pulled themselves together by now. Very much hope to be wrong...

9. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Same.