1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

..defect in oxidative phosphorylation increases systemic energy expenditure and protects against diet-induced obesity.., 2020, Choi et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title - An adipocyte-specific defect in oxidative phosphorylation increases systemic energy expenditure and protects against diet-induced obesity in mouse models
    Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00125-019-05082-7
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1007/s00125-019-05082-7

ukxmrv, Hutan, spinoza577 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thinking aloud here, do join in/correct me if you feel like it.

Mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation (Oxphos) is the production of ATP in mitochondria; it uses oxygen. (Whereas glycolysis happens in the cytoplasm (in the cell but outside the mitochondria) and doesn't use oxygen).

So these researchers have gene knock-out mice that have reduced Oxphos in their adipocytes (adipocytes = essentially, fat cells). And that's interesting because people with ME seem to have reduced Oxphos, especially when in PEM. I think we swap to glycolysis quicker than healthy people during a CPET (and quicker again in another CPET the following day).

They also did an in vitro analysis -
    So doxycycline decreased OxPhos in fat cells! and also initiates the mitochondrial unfolded protein response. Maybe it does that in other cells too? (I wonder, could extended courses of doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis be harmful in some people?)

That's interesting because Nacul et al found
    (although there was speculation that the GDF15 was inversely related to activity levels).

Legend and Andy like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Another paper
    Mitochondrial proteostasis in the context of cellular and organismal health and aging

Andy and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)