1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

David Tuller: Trial By Error: My Letter about MUS to the British Journal of General Practice

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Eagles, May 6, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: My Letter about MUS to the British Journal of General Practice

http://www.virology.ws/2019/05/06/t...s-to-the-british-journal-of-general-practice/

6 May 2019

By David Tuller, DrPH

Reuters reporter Kate Kelland informed me in January that my habit of routinely sending open letters to researchers and journals to expose what I consider to be bogus studies was “harassment,” according to those who perceive themselves as my victims. Whatever. I disagree that writing lots of letters about violations of core methodological and ethical principles and alerting key decision-makers to my concerns constitutes “harassment.”

To the contrary, I consider this method of watchdogging the published record and debunking nonsense to be a major function of my position as a public health academic and investigative journalist at Berkeley’s Center for Global Public Health. If members of the CBT/GET ideological brigades would prefer me to stop this practice, they should correct or retract papers that cannot withstand rigorous scrutiny. It is unattractive for them to cry “harassment” every time patients, me, or 114 experts from Columbia, Stanford, University College London, Harvard, Berkeley, Georgetown, Queen Mary University of London, Cornell, UCSF, and elsewhere point out disqualifying flaws in their research…

Joel, alktipping, sea and 39 others like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Be interesting to see the response...I wonder how many letters it will take?

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's the spirit. Keep up the optimism. There's a first time for everything.

4. arewenearlythereyet

Must be because I got more than 5 hrs sleep :)

5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In a row?

alktipping, MEMarge, Grigor and 6 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone who seriously claims that asking legitimate questions and raising criticism of controversial and garbage-quality research impacting millions is doing "harassment" deserves to have twice as many questions asked every time they repeat that claim. It's the criminal investigation equivalent of "you can search anywhere in the house, except the basement; under no circumstances are you allowed in the basement". Might as well put flashing arrow signs.

Most disappointing is the institutions that enable this anti-science mess. The supervisors of the psychosocial school of thought are incredibly irresponsible in their handling of their denial of reality. Serious adult supervision is required ASAP. This nonsense has been allowed to operate without restraint for far too long. There are millions of lives negatively impacted by this and it's covered as if it were a political horse race of no consequence. Way past time to shine some light in those backrooms.

Pechius, Woolie, alktipping and 13 others like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

New blog post:
    Trial By Error: My Exchange with the British Journal of Medical Practice

As I have reported, I recently sent a letter to the editor of the British Journal of General Practice. To my surprise, when I woke up this morning I had an e-mail from him. Below is that e-mail, followed by my response.

Joel, alktipping, ukxmrv and 26 others like this.
  8. arewenearlythereyet

Well that was quick :)

9. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes and I'm curious to see what happens next.

10. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Typical defensive cricket shot bat the issue very gently back. Except @dave30th isn’t a cricket bowler so he picked it up and sent a fastball pitch back :thumbup:

ETA I confess I had to do a little research on baseball terms :whistle:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So good to see David telling the editor in no uncertain terms it's his responsibility to ensure the article is corrected by Prof Chew Graham with full explanation.

12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:D

14. large donner

large donner Guest

If I falsified my tax returns ten years ago would that be ok or would it just be boring old data?

15. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm getting really mixed signals about what exactly is it that medical research journal editors actually do if they are not bothered by glaring mistakes in research they publish, even when people repeatedly slap them in the face with it, the mistakes circled in bright red and accompanied by drawings of why mistakes are bad.

"Don't ask me about whether it's accurate or if that even matters, I just vet and publish this stuff" is a really weird position to take. That's essentially the position with all the psychosocial research, every mistake is basically met with a shrug of "well, the authors say it's fine so what do you want me to do?"

And in this case it is clearly used to inform policies and affects enormous budgets so that position of "it's old data" is very odd. Maybe then don't use "old data" that you consider unreliable? No?

Pechius, alktipping, Lisa108 and 13 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Failure to correct demonstrable errors is a sacking offence for a journal editor, IMHO.

Their damn job is quality control.

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The astonishing thing is that he needs telling. Seems to be part of the job spec for quite a few of these journal editors.

alktipping, Chezboo, MEMarge and 9 others like this.
  18. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the response of Dr Jones was a bit embarrassing. "the data are a decade old now"...

The data do not need correction it's the 2017 bjgp editorial that misrepresented those data that needs correction.

Why are all these responses from editors so disappointing...

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Woolie, alktipping, Hutan and 17 others like this.
  19. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They think they can fudge their way round any issues. They are avoiding the activity of correcting inaccuracies. They have unhelpful beliefs about the reputations of their journals. I prescribe Correcting Bullshit Therapy*

*TM

Woolie, alktipping, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  20. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If speaking truth to power is harassment then the only authority possible is authoritarian.
    This is what some want