1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cytokine network analysis in a community-based pediatric sample of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, 2022, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, May 16, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract
    Objectives: Studies have demonstrated immune dysfunction in adolescents with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS); however, evidence is varied. The current study used network analysis to examine relationships between cytokines among a sample of pediatric participants with ME/CFS.

Methods: 10,119 youth aged 5-17 in the Chicagoland area were screened for ME/CFS; 111 subjects and controls were brought in for a physician examination and completed a blood draw. Youth were classified as controls (Cs, N = 43), ME/CFS (N = 23) or severe (S-ME/CFS, N = 45). Patterns of plasma cytokine networks were analyzed.

Results: All participant groups displayed a primary network of interconnected cytokines. In the ME/CFS group, inflammatory cytokines IL-12p70, IL-17A, and IFN-γ were connected and included in the primary membership, suggesting activation of inflammatory mechanisms. The S-ME/CFS group demonstrated a strong relationship between IL-17A and IL-23, a connection associated with chronic inflammation. The relationships of IL-6 and IL-8 in ME/CFS and S-ME/CFS participants also differed from Cs. Together, these results indicate pro-inflammatory responses in our illness populations.

Discussion: Our data imply biological differences between our three participant groups, with ME/CFS and S-ME/CFS participants demonstrating an inflammatory profile. Examining co-expression of cytokines may aid in the identification of a biomarker for pediatric ME/CFS.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35570777/

2. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Will this possible bio marker work for adults?

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I cannot see any biomarker here. They report some correlations within groups but say nothing about differences between groups in the abstract.

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the abstract isn't very helpful, and, at the moment, the abstract is all there is. The paper is labelled 'online ahead of print'.

If the definition of ME/CFS and severe ME/CFS is consistent with another recent paper by Leonard Jason, then 'severe ME/CFS' refers to compliance with multiple main ME/CFS criteria.

I find this interesting, even though we don't yet know if it is actually different to the situation in controls. If it's a real difference, perhaps it is an important clue.

See for example this paper, where relationships between IL-23 and IL-17 seem to create a 'self-amplifying... inflammatory response'
    Discovery of the IL-23/IL-17 Signaling Pathway and the Treatment of Psoriasis

Last edited: May 17, 2022