1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 29th June 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, the DecodeME study has announced £3.2m of funding, click here to read about it.
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 Brain Study

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19)' started by rvallee, Jun 27, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Participate in the COVID-19 Brain Study—a global study of how the virus affects cognition

https://www.cambridgebrainsciences.com/studies/covid-brain-study

ahimsa, Squeezy, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  2. rvallee

I was alerted to this study from this article:

'This is going to produce cognitive deficits': Famed neuroscientist Adrian Owen launches COVID-19 brain study

https://nationalpost.com/news/this-...ist-adrian-owen-launched-covid-19-brain-study.

This looks to be international so anyone who had COVID-19 should be able to participate.

3. rvallee

Squeezy and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I want to believe that those with long-term symptoms after acute COVID19 fully recover.
    If they do not, I hope the world puts appropriate resources and thought (with full participation of stakeholders) into fulling revamping disability assistance programs. (Goodness knows we have all waited long enough to be seen .)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Squeezy likes this.
  5. rvallee

The beauty of this is that those who recover will be their own control.

In sharp contrast to that study posted this week that called us stupid because we have cognitive impairment. Without pre-illness tests, there is no comparison to make, it's impossible to compare how one's cognitive performance has declined without the exact same battery of tests having been done in advance.

But now this population will feature lots of people who will struggle on those tests and improve to normal over weeks and months, while others don't, highlighting just how significant this impairment is.

What I like is the sense of urgency, that time is critical if we are to properly assess this. Good thinking. And this is likely just the beginning. I am so ready for so much science I can't even skim most of it.

Let's science the crap out of this problem. Finally.

Squeezy and lunarainbows like this.