1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

UK - NHS England online tool and clinics for long Covid.

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Kalliope, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moderator note: This post has been moved from this thread and following posts are a mix of moved posts and posts from a new thread.

BBC: Coronavirus: NHS England launches tool to aid long-term recovery

"Your Covid Recovery" will be an online portal for people in England to access tutorials, contact healthcare workers and track their progress.

Later in the summer, tailored rehabilitation will also be offered to those who qualify, following an assessment.
    Each programme will last a maximum of 12 weeks, the Department of Health and Social Care said.

The service, which was developed and piloted in Leicester, will include access to mental health services, community support groups and exercise tutorials, either online or over the phone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2020
    MEMarge, rvallee, hinterland and 8 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My first response is 'oh-oh', but hopefully that's just a fear unreasonably based on years and years of the NHS being rubbish.

Looks like Sally Singh is leading on this (presumably this is the press release: https://www.dee1063.com/news/local-news/nhs-to-launch-ground-breaking-online-covid-19-rehab-service/) and there's already been an attempt to get them talking to @PhysiosforME :

https://twitter.com/user/status/1260571126230630407

3. Adam pwme

Adam pwme Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Matt Hancock on Marr this morning,

"Some people have long term effects that look like a post viral fatigue syndrome so we're putting £8M into research and the NHS is putting together a support package for people who have post viral fatigue syndrome from COVID"

4. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, there is a difference , you know. Important people might have PVFS from covid. Not at all the sort of people who would have hysteria.

Moosie, Forbin, Tia and 26 others like this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Good to see the twitter link up between @PhysiosforME and the person running this. I forsee a massive battle between the Chalder/Wessely approach, and the sensible pacing approach. I just hope sense wins.

6. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One of the leading LongCovid19 advocates in the UK is following @PhysiosforME so that's very reassuring.

7. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Who is that?

8. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moderators - please move this if it's in the wrong thread:

"Coronavirus: NHS England launches tool to aid long-term recovery

NHS England is launching a new service for people with ongoing health problems after having coronavirus.

The government says "tens of thousands" of people have long-term symptoms after catching Covid-19.

"Your Covid Recovery" will be an online portal for people in England to access tutorials, contact healthcare workers and track their progress.

The project will be rolled out in two phases, with the web portal launching later this month."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53291925

(I can't work out how to give this a quotation format.)

Of course, if it lasts longer than 3 or 6 months it could be ME.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/major-s...-effects-of-covid-19-launched-in-the-uk/25200

10. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

I was about to post a link and saw several others and already done so, and also alerted @PhysiosforME

‘Exercise tutorials’.... what could possibly go wrong! :(

alktipping, MeSci, Barry and 9 others like this.
  11. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The approach would appear to be evidence that the people in charge don' give a stuff about 10,000, or even millions, whose health and QoL might be made permanently worse.

I mean we, amongst others, have been drawing their attention to the issue for decades, so they can't claim ignorance.

Lets just inappropriately accelerate the planned rollout of a cheap internet based CBT and GET like approach to solve every problem.

Seems they are happy just to be seen to be doing something, doesn't matter if they suspect/know it will only make the problem worse - that's the next guys in office problem.

12. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, the 6 month mark is where the claims for PHI should start going in. Earlier for benefits claims.

Very important to get the illness denial in first. If you can label a person as having health anxiety, a shirker, malingerer, having abnormal illness beliefs, being a member of a support group etc., and get that on record first then it makes claims a lot easier to deny.

I rather suspect the NHS Portal will be a handy way of identifying those that might cost someone some money further down the line. It could be helpful and do lots of positive things but.....

I really feel for some of these poor sods who have no idea what's coming. That their battle with ill health will only be a part of their troubles to come. Literally,like standing at the side of a road watching a car crash happen in slow motion in front of you.

Daisymay, Chezboo, Milo and 16 others like this.
  13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yeah i got a chill down my spine when i read it this morning. But of course when we try to alert them we will be seen as 'being negative', especially as some of them who no doubt do have a 'regular' post viral fatigue & would have got better in time regardless, will be 'helped' & therefore 'prove' the approach works. God help those who have just started their battle with ME. It makes me want to cry.

At least those who are a bit sceptical/critically thinking oriented will have the 'covid is completely new & therefore the NHS might not have it correct, to protect them when their experiences start to radically not match what they're being told. At least a little i hope.

rainy, inox, alktipping and 15 others like this.
  14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, this is exactly how I feel too. And then there will be the crosstalk between those who managed to spontaneously recover, giving random advice to those who weren't so lucky.

rainy, inox, Daisymay and 21 others like this.
  15. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

I can see the psych lobby trying to grab this money for badly run cbt and get studies.

inox, Chezboo, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  16. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2020
  17. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really pushing the boat out :rolleyes:
    https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/07/nhs-to-launch-ground-breaking-online-covid-19-rehab-service/

18. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And this is on top of the £10billion not being provided in order for the NHS to even cope with the basic aftermath of the epidemic. Why don't they eat cake?

Amw66, Michelle, FMMM1 and 20 others like this.
  19. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

erm...face to face meeting with a panel of medical people?

Presumably all in the same room, in fully PPE/hazmat suits, in buildings known to be super sources of the virus?

Sounds a sensible approach to deal with those who've 'proven' susceptible to the virus, during a pandemic, before anyone knows how long any immunity lasts.

I can't see any reason for anyone to have any concerns at all, especially those who've been badly affected by the virus.

chrisb, Wits_End, alktipping and 14 others like this.
  20. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)