1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Complementary cancer therapies 'do more harm than good' - BBC

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by TiredSam, Nov 14, 2019.

1. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-50409431

Barry, AliceLily, Mij and 7 others like this.
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

TiredSam likes this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to that study, we should also avoid eating herring and mackerel.

Edit: just read it properly. They're only advising to avoid fish oil and those fish from the day before chemo til the day after. Phew - for a moment there I was worried that I'd need to stop taking my fish oil supplement now in case I ever get cancer.

4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sarah94 the fish I take is made up of "anchovy, sardines and/or mackerel". I think most of them are?

I think I would avoid it altogether during the entire treatment and maybe take less after it's all over.

Sarah94 and MEMarge like this.
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This might be useful for people with cancer having non-solicited "well meaning" alternative health advice given to them. When I had my cancer treatment none of my friends or family tried to tell me to take supplements as they knew from my ME experience that I wasn't interested.

On the cancer forums I saw a different story with tales of people being told to take x, y and z. Even other patients did this. When I was sick with vomiting from chemo I lost track of the number of people who told me to take ginger. Took so much of it that I can't even face it now after treatment has stopped. Didn't have any problems with wound healing so I wonder how big a deal it really is and for how many people.

It's good to have something like this to show or send to people if supplements are being pushed at them

erin, Sarah94, Mij and 4 others like this.