1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Comic: But........ you did it before by Mahli Quinn

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Wyva, Jul 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"A wonderfully illustrated comic to explain Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Encephalopathy (M.E) also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) to other people."

The video is 6 minutes long but easy to understand. Posted by ME Association. Full description on YouTube, below the video.

I chuckled a couple of times while watching, it has some quite witty moments. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Rijt8jtZg

2. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is seriously one of the best accessible/light hearted things i've seen!
    It obviously doesnt cover everything, but it does explain the issue of 'but you did it before' in a way that is graspable - i love the 'shower 105%' chart.

3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1) It should have mentioned battery power levels permanently lowering after exertion. The effects of ME for some patients like me are permanent not just a few days or weeks. It should have also mentioned a change in the rate at which the battery's power is lowered per equivalent activity.

2) I don't like the focus on fatigue, what about the other symptoms of ME?

Louie41, EzzieD, Trish and 4 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see what you mean , but it isn't about fatigue but available power. The CPET testing results show that we have damage to our cellular respiration which makes the ATP that powers all the systems of the body.

Batteries are a very good analogy for us. Not having enough energy available to perform essential processes would explain all downstream symptoms.

Fatigue is common to countless conditions but it comes from inadequate energy despite properly functioning aerobic cellular respiration yet for us we start from a broken system. The visualisation of us having substandard batteries is very apt.