1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Collating Brain Research in ME

Discussion in 'Resources' started by Trish, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The aim of this thread is to collect a list of brain imaging studies of ME patients, with links to threads on each study.

We have in our library a thread by @Woolie that explains the different types of neuroimaging and what to look out for in assessing the quality of a study:
    Brain Studies of MECFS: A Primer

This post will be used to add to the list as new research is published.

To discuss the individual studies, go to its own thread. Please add any more to this thread and I will add them to this list.

PET
    Neuroinflammation in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis: An 11C-(R)-PK11195 PET Study by Yasuhito Nakatomi et al,
    Paper here Thread here

Brain Science on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Watanabe.
    Abstract here Thread here

MRI
    Autonomic correlations with MRI are abnormal in the brainstem vasomotor centre in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2016 by Barnden et al.
    Paper here

Elevations of Ventricular Lactate Levels Occur in Both Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, 2017, by Natelson et al.
    Paper here

Hyperintense sensorimotor T1 spin echo MRI is associated with brainstem abnormality in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2018, Barnden et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Prefrontal Structure Varies as a Function of Pain Symptoms in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, van der Schaaf et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Right Arcuate Fasciculus Abnormality in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2014, Zeineh, Montoya et al
    Paper here Thread here

sMRI

Structural brain changes versus self-report: machine-learning classification of CFS patients, 2018, Staud et al
    Paper here Thread here

fMRI

Brain function characteristics of chronic fatigue syndrome: A task fMRI study, 2018, et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Neural consequences of post-exertion malaise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis /Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2017, Cook et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Proton MRS

Increased ventricular lactate in chronic fatigue syndrome. III. Relationships to cortical glutathione and clinical symptoms implicate oxidative stress in disorder pathophysiology, 2012, Shungu et al
    Paper here

Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy of basal ganglia in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2003, Chaudhury et al.
    Paper here

Relative increase in choline in the occipital cortex in chronic fatigue syndrome, 2002, Puri et al.
    Paper here

MRS

Evidence of widespread metabolite abnormalities in Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: assessment with whole-brain magnetic resonance spectroscopy, 2019, Younger et al.
    Paper here Thread here

SPECT

Brainstem perfusion is impaired in chronic fatigue syndrome, 1995, by Costa et al.
    Paper here

Other types of imaging

Brain abnormalities in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: Evaluation by diffusional kurtosis imaging and neurite orientation dispersion and density imaging, 2018, Kimura et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Review papers

Neuroinflammation and Cytokines in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS): A Critical Review of Research Methods, 2019, Van Elzakker et al.
    Paper here Thread here

Other lists of brain studies in ME

Reference list compiled in 2017 by Suzy Chapman and Mary Dimmock here

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ahimsa, Mithriel, shak8 and 14 others like this.
  2. Trish

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Starlight, rvallee, Andy and 7 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Trish

Andy and inox like this.
  5. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Trish a very useful thread.

I will follow up on the links when able to.

I am particularly interested in working out what of our cognitive problems relate to generalised reversible neurological issues such as brain inflammation or reduced oxygen supply and what if any relate to focal irreversible neurological damage. What is transient, analogous to such as the effects of being tired or being drunk and what if anything is permenant, analogous to the effects of a CVA or such as Alzheimer's?

For example in MS, during an acute episode, there is general 'inflammation' (?) which largely resolves, but can leave some less widespread permenant neurological damage (in this case demyelination).

Mithriel, obeat, andypants and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member