1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinical overlap between fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis. A systematic review and meta-analysis, 2022, Ramírez-Morales et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Myalgic encephalomyelitis is an illness characterized by profound malaise after mental or physical effort occurring in patients already suffering from constant fatigue. On the other hand, widespread pain and widespread allodynia are the core fibromyalgia clinical features. There is controversy on these two syndromes alikeness.

Through the years, different diagnostic and/or classification criteria have been put forward to appraise both fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis. The epidemiology of these two illnesses, and their overlap, may vary accordingly to the used definition. The most recent Wolfe et al. 2016 fibromyalgia diagnostic criteria incorporates three myalgic encephalomyelitis features including fatigue, waking unrefreshed and dyscognition.

The objective of this meta-analysis was to define the clinical overlap between fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis based on a systematic literature review.

Methods
    PubMed, Embase, Lilacs, and Cochrane data bases were searched on January 25, 2021 linking the medical subject heading “Fibromyalgia” to the following terms “chronic fatigue syndrome”, “myalgic encephalomyelitis” and “systemic exertion intolerance disease”. Our review included all original articles in which the clinical overlap between fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis could be quantified based on recognized diagnostic or classification criteria. Articles scrutiny and selection followed the PRISMA guidelines. Each study quality was assessed according to GRADE recommendations. The global clinical overlap was calculated using a fixed effect model with inverse variance-weighted average method.

Results
    Twenty one publications were included in the meta-analysis. Reviewed studies were highly dissimilar in their design, objectives, sample size, diagnostic criteria, and/or outcomes yielding a 98% heterogeneity index. Nevertheless, the clinical overlap between fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis was a well defined outcome that could be reliably calculated despite the high heterogeneity value. All reviewed publications had moderate GRADE evidence level. Most evaluated articles used the old 1990 Wolfe et al. fibromyalgia diagnostic criteria. Myalgic encephalomyelitis and fibromyalgia diagnoses overlapped in 47.3% (95% CI: 45.97–48.63) of the reported cases.

Conclusion
    This meta-analysis found prominent clinical overlap between fibromyalgia and myalgic encephalomyelitis. It seems likely that this concordance would be even higher when using the most recent Wolfe et al. 2016 fibromyalgia diagnostic criteria.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1568997222000994

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It's a good question but I have little confidence that this is a good way to answer it. There's too much variation in approaches to diagnosis.

The question probably can't be answered until we have a better idea of what ME/CFS and fibromyalgia actually are.

Interesting that this paper is from Mexico. I don't think we've heard much about ME/CFS or the like in Mexico before.

Other bits I found interesting:
    Introduction to ME/CFS
    The paper mentions Fukuda and IOM, not CCC and ICC.

Fibromyalgia criteria - new one seems likely to increase the overlap

Michelle, alktipping, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Amazing how out of two words it's so common to completely overlook what they mean. In a discussion of pain in myalgic encephalomyelitis, compared to FM, they don't even list pain in the ME symptoms because they don't think about it.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis
    Myalgic
    Myalgia

JFC, the lack of attention to details in this profession is so damn absurd. They can pay obsessive attention to trivial things while at the same time completely overlook the basic stuff. Probably because they use the term ME but are thinking only of "chronic fatigue" so they simply don't think about 90%+ of the damn illness, and pain is so often left out of the definitions, even though it's in the freaking name. What a mess.

4. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exercise reportedly helps people who have FM without ME but not people with both

5. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My impression from a very small sample is that doctors in Mexico don't generally know anything at all about ME. Maybe that will change with somewhat growing awareness of Long Covid.

It looks like these authors all have experience with FM and work in rheumatology, and don't seem to have much experience with ME.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure that argument works. The name ME is not necessarily biologically and clinically accurate. It was invented to describe what the doctors at the time of the Royal Free outbreak was a good description. Since then the multiplicity of diagnostic criteria don't all require either myalgia or encepholomyelitis/encephalomyelopathy.
    Some people with ME don't have muscle pain.

7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have no molecular mechanisms identified for either illness to distinguish them.

In people with systemic autoimmune disease there is a lot of co-existing diagnosis and symptoms of FM. Does one cause the other, or are they related in molecular origins, are some of the symptoms too similar to distinguish one illness from the other?

At the moment, not the most pressing question, when the science isn't there.

8. rvallee

Sure. But it's common. It definitely shouldn't be left out, especially not on a discussion over this issue. I frankly don't understand why it's so often left out of definitions, but that's my bias as someone experiencing it.

It's just silly how everything is made out out of "a primary symptom of" that completely ignores most of the disease. Of course no progress can be made given that, it's usually impossible to solve an issue without understanding it and it fully applies here. All this discussion over generic things that simply ignore real life.

9. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed

If I remember correctly, the presenter at CDC's recent community call for ME (who recommended graded exercise and CBT) stated that FM and ME are a continuum with FM - pain - on one end and ME - fatigue - on the other.

Can't make progress with such simplistic views

Michelle, Sean, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  10. rvallee

That makes no sense whatsoever. WTH?

But it really confirms my view that the biopsychosocial ideology can genuinely, and in full, be reduced to the love-and-fear pseudo-cult in Donnie Darko, or at least this makes up 90% of it, you can just swap some words and it's basically that: one-dimensional thinking, the smallest, shallowest possible level there is, can't even see what's right in front of their nose because it's out of the one-dimensional bounds.

I usually just post the picture and since many people probably haven't watched it, it's worth putting it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivEzQUGHOQ

That's how I feel about everything BPS, there really isn't anything more to it. "The lifeline is divided that way". "The relationship between the mind and the body is biopsychosocial".

"If you don't complete the assignment, you get a zero for the day" is basically the same as "Do CBT and GET or you get denied disability". Coercive compliance.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  11. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the UK before Lake Tahoe the symptoms of ME were seen as being widespread, often devastating pain especially in the muscles, an abnormal response to exercise and neurological involvement. Fatigue was only mentioned in the sense that it is present when people are ill.

When the CDC in its wisdom decided that fatigue was the main symptom of CFS, the only symptom in the UK, people with the pain of ME were told they had fibromyalgia as well. All the confusion stems from that.

The deep, burning pain in ME is most likely from lactic acid build up from reliance on anaerobic cellular respiration. Some people may not experience that if they keep below their anaerobic threshold.

Fibromyalgia must have a completely different cause because if it was due to a low AT then it would be ME! It is possible to have both as with any 2 diseases and maybe continual damage from ME can lead to secondary FMS

Nowadays, the biopsycho people are using fibromyalgia to mean pain and CFS to mean fatigue. Diseases now reduced to symptoms... well that won't cause any confusion!