1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

'Chronic fatigue': The devastating illness that's so much worse than just tiredness - Honey Coach nine.com.au (July, 2018)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Melanie, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://coach.nine.com.au/2018/07/03/18/52/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-myalgic-encephalomyelitis

The article is very good. Dr. Mark Guthridge is inerviewed about ME/CFS and the patient experience is well written. An accurate easy read.

Barry, Sly Saint, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But he says at the end "The anecdotal evidence would suggest that if you get early intervention from GPs who know how to manage and treat the disease, that gives you the best prognosis for recovery."

Really? Based on what?

Woolie, Melanie, Chezboo and 3 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I suppose in a very general sense, having a GP that is supportive, treats your pain and sleep problems, tells your spouse that you are really sick and fills out the paperwork for benefits or home help does increase your chance of recovery compared to a doctor that does none of those things and sends you on a GET course.

In the sense of at least preventing suicide, I guess a supportive knowledgeable doctor does increase the chances of recovery ('recovery' as in improvement rather than cure).

zzz, Snow Leopard, Sly Saint and 7 others like this.
  4. Melanie

Melanie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I wish the term "recovery" wasn't used so loosely. I have found that term is used a lot by the Australian patients and charities also. Not sure why.

Everyone needs to get the word out that using the word "recovery" should stop and saying "improvement" or saying that they recovered from the initial illness (mono, flu, flu-like illness) but they were left unwell.

5. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Totally agree, 'recovery' immediately detracts from the seriousness of the disease and gives the impression that all will be well in the end so it's no big deal. It's thrown around way too often. I rested from the beginning and I am severe now. Unless stress has driven me to being severe. Disease progression differs for everyone but 'recovery' that ol chestnut needs to go.