1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Carol Monaghan asking for patient experiences with UK benefit assessments

Discussion in 'General disability topics and advocacy' started by Andy, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/CarolMonaghanSNP/posts/2012644808862705

MEMarge, Sly Saint, JaneL and 18 others like this.
  2. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

On the #MEAction SW Facebook group a post by Carol has been shared. I couldn't work out how to link to it directly, so have cut and pasted the text below. I thought that the community on here could probably give some useful feedback, based on some of the recent threads.
    I couldn't see this anywhere else on the forum but if I've duplicated anohter post then please feel free to delete this one!

"In a couple of weeks’ time I’ll be meeting with the Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work to raise the recurring issue of access to benefits for those with ME.

This is an area of real importance as many from the ME community have voiced concerns about health assessors displaying an insufficient understanding of ME and not properly applying the assessment criteria. These factors, combined with tests which often leave a patient exhausted for weeks afterwards, mean that we would like to see assessments become much more accessible and accurate for those with ME.

If you, or someone you know, has had experience with this issue which you would be happy to share with me, please could you e-mail an account of this by next Friday 14th June to carol.monaghan.mp@parliament.uk? Thank you for your support."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2019
  3. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There have been many stories on the forum and linked over time, if someone wants to take on making a list i'm sure it could be put to use and maybe even those involved could be asked if they want to have their irl names attached.
    If anyone can think of any post them to this thread, if someone can take on e-mailing them to Carol that would be great.

MEMarge, Ron and DokaGirl like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you Carol! I am going to send the MEpedia info about Carol's work for ME to my political reps.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Shared to our local group

Binkie4, MEMarge, dangermouse and 2 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Esther12, rvallee, Simbindi and 6 others like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve sent my experiences in to carol and ME Association.