1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardiopulmonary testing (CPET): Workwell foundation

Discussion in 'Physical testing (e.g. CPET, actimetry)' started by Sly Saint, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full blog here
    https://workwellfoundation.org/cardiopulmonary-exercise-testing-cpet/

ahimsa, Sean, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

A short article that seems to be intended to explain briefly to potential patients what the 2 day CPET involves and what they can expect to get out of it.

bobbler, ahimsa, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  3. Lidia Thompson

Lidia Thompson Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anybody know if such a CPET test can be done in the UK?

Peter Trewhitt and livinglighter like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yes, speak to your local university's sports science department to find out if they are able and willing. There is nothing unusual about the repeated CPET testing apart from the repetition, in most other circumstances only a single CPET is necessary. CPET itself is something done regularly.

5. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had a single CPET back in late 2021 and it was the first test to show that something is actually wrong with my body. Shows that I have what was described as a metabolic impairment - or, in simple terms as the cardiologist put it, my muscles run out of energy really quickly. Respiratory Exchange Ratio, I think it was, was high. I've dined out on this (metaphorically, obviously) on all the forms I've had to fill in since - such as PIP as there is actually something unarguably wrong with my body, rather than just me saying I'm broken.

However, as it may not surprise you to hear, a CPET is probably not advisable for most people with ME! The cardiologist didn't push me to do it (in fact he actively discouraged me), but, I did so willingly as I was frankly desperate to do something that showed I was broken. It was a hellish experience, I stopped sooner than they would ideally have had me stop and I don't think I could have done a second day repeat as I was so wrecked from the one I did. Took me quite a while to recover.