1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test Methodology for Assessing Exertion Intolerance in ME/CFS, 2018, Stevens et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Provisionally accepted.

Cardiopulmonary Exercise Test Methodology for Assessing Exertion Intolerance in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Staci Stevens1, Chris Snell1, Jared Stevens1, Betsy keller2 and [​IMG]J. Mark VanNess3*
    • 1Workwell Foundation, United States
    • 2Department of Exercise & Sport Sciences, Ithaca College, United States
    • 3Health and Exercise Science, University of the Pacific, United States
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2018.00242/abstract

sea, Zombie Lurker, John Mac and 15 others like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not yet published. Curious to see how many studies were included - given there are several other studies with similar results that are not yet published as far as I know.

3. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, I was waiting for this paper. I asked Workwell Foundation if they have some kind of manual for the 2-day-cpet, and they mentioned there shall be a publication, and I think this is it.

sea, janice, JaimeS and 8 others like this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is great. So how do we understand our results? I'm not sure the exercise physiology testing centre knew that much. All I know is that my VO2 max is the same as a person with COPD or MS, and just over half that expected for my age, which is bad.

Indigophoton, JaimeS, Inara and 8 others like this.
  5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently had a conversation with a family practice doctor (who has been in touch with Todd Davenport) about whether a CPET should be part of standard ME/CFS clinical care. His view was that it was not worth the risk to patients. I didn't disagree, except in cases where it was necessary to prove disability.

janice, Indigophoton, JaimeS and 8 others like this.
  6. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not sure patients should be pressured into an assessment that could make them permanently worse, just to satisfy a disability assessment.

I know I’d be too concerned about the harm this could cause me, to do it. :nailbiting:

Mij, janice, Indigophoton and 10 others like this.
  7. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Agreed. But patients should perhaps be given the option of a CPET test if it's required to prove disability.

2-day CPETs are useful for researching PEM. But what is the benefit of a CPET in clinical care? Maybe to determine maximal heart rate? It's not clear that it's worth the risk for patients, and many (like you and me) would likely decline a CPET even if it were offered.

janice, JaimeS, andypants and 6 others like this.
  8. Pechius

Pechius Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you share how your results changed between day 1 and 2? VO2, AT(anaerobic threshold)?

Inara likes this.
  9. Pechius

Dolphin and Inara like this.
  10. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Pechius, thank you! Do you think the manuscript will change a lot?

11. Pechius

I think not.
    Source

Inara likes this.
  12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pechius, JaimeS, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  13. Pechius

Article has been published. PDF here

andypants, Wonko, Inara and 4 others like this.
  14. Pechius

It's a really nice overview, especially to hand to someone who doesn't know much about it, although I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include a table or graph which would summasire the changes that are most common in all studies and most specific for ME/CFS and how big those changes can be. Seems like a no brainer to me. I imagine someone who's not very familiar with CPER would be left a bit confused as to what exactly they should look for.

andypants, Webdog, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

This manuscript is describing the practice protocol that they use and is not a systematic review of prior studies. The central replicated finding is a reduction of performance of patients at the ventilatory threshold on the second day. Other findings such as a reduction in VO2Max/VO2Peak on the second day have not been found in replication studies.

Inara, Milo and alex3619 like this.
  16. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Because validation is a very good thing, and having objective measure of disability matters a lot in disability insurance.

i totally understand the risks... until we have biomarkers and until we are established within mainstream medicine, at least some of us will have to prove disability through this mean.

Edit to add: at least some of us are not even believed by our own doctor, so providing them with a comprehensive assessement of the post exertional response may provide proof that of biological basis of symptoms and illness. (And yes, we are still at this stage in 2018)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    andypants, sea, Zombie Lurker and 5 others like this.
  17. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but how much of a change? Should HR increase or decrease at AT/VT? Where do mild/moderate/severe patients fall?

andypants, Wonko, Pechius and 3 others like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Good questions for which we would have to do more study to find out, though I think the latter (severe) is unethical to answer.

19. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Wonko, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  20. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I appreciate the concern that this could exacerbate a patient's condition. BUt I've also seen the 2 day CPET be the deciding factor in a positive decision on social security disability benefits (and thus medicare health insurance) in the US. Each patient needs to be aware of the risk and make a decision on the risk versus the benefit.

Angel27, andypants, Inara and 7 others like this.