1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 26th July 2021 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Contribute to feedback on the CDC Evidence Review, for more details click here
    Dismiss Notice

Canadian newspaper article on baceteriophages (viruses) that attack only bacteria

Discussion in 'Health News and Research unrelated to ME/CFS' started by DokaGirl, Mar 29, 2019.

1. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is an opinion piece written by Dr. Steffanie Strathdee," infectious-disease epidemiologist, and associate dean of global health sciences and professor at the University of California, San Diego, school of medicine. She also directs the new UC San Diego Center for Innovative Phage Application and Therapeutics and is an adjunct professor at Johns Hopkins and Simon Fraser Univeristies. She is the co-author of The Perfect Predator: A Scientist's Race to Save Her Husband from a Deadly Superbug."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...revive-a-forgotten-cure-to-combat-the-global/

2. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

see also this thread:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/virus...stem-into-ignoring-bacterial-infections.8810/

MEMarge likes this.
  3. DokaGirl

Thank you @Sly Saint.

I did note the other thread. While these articles are both talking about phages, I thought the link you posted was talking about phages letting bacterial infections run rampant, and therefore harming people, which appears to contradict this article; rather confusing.

I thought a separate post would be better. But, maybe I misunderstood the meaning of the first post.

(That's never happened before - ha!:laugh:)

If the moderators would like to move this post please do so.

Thank you!

MEMarge and Sly Saint like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Trying to get my head around two different phage stories.

I think we have two completely different situations with different phages.

A phage, or bacteriophage is a virus that infects only bacteria. Viruses can only multiply by entering cells of other organisms, in this case bacterial cells and hijacking the cell's functions to replicate themselves.

There are lots of different phages that infect different bacteria, so their relevance to bacterial illness will be different too.

One lot are being used as medical treatment to kill off bacterial infections.

Another lot are hypothesised to enable some bacterial infections to spread.

Have I understood this correctly?

MEMarge and DokaGirl like this.
  5. DokaGirl

Thank you @Trish for your comments. I hope someone more sciency than me can decide whether these are two separate ways phages behave.

My understanding is these two articles are about different ways phages work.

But I don't know if I've understood correctly.

I was going to add this article to @Andy's post, but thought that would be confusing, as it seems to contradict the first article. I kept meaning to post the Canadian newspaper article earlier, as it's from March 1st, but was only reminded with @Andy's post. Sorry for the muddle. Maybe they should be posted together anyways.

Thanks again for your post.

:)

MEMarge and Trish like this.