1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Brain’s immune cells put the brakes on neurons

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Oct 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thought this was interesting.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02713-7

2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Epilepsy is when an electric discharge spreads through the brain. FND epilepsy could be caused by a problem with the inhibition system not cutting in properly so there is a wave of chemical activity.

That sort of delayed feedback could be the cause of a lot of problems in ME too. It is something that we could do with knowing more about.

Lidia, spinoza577, Snowdrop and 2 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I thought that it suggests a possible explanation for brain fog. The dampening activity of microglia is said, in the article, to be activated by ATP, so if there was to be increased extracellular ATP in patients (which may or may not be the case), then this dampening activity might be triggered more than it should be. Obviously a lot of ifs, buts and maybes, so certainly not anything proven, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

shak8, Mithriel and Mariaba like this.
  4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It sounds reasonable to me. I'm convinced that my glial cells are closely involved in my ME, so this fits. It might not require increased ATP; it could be other mechanisms that affect how the glial cells function, which in turn affects the ATP->damping function.

Since many of us suffer from sleep problems, this part of that paper might apply:

"ADO derived from ATP released by astrocytes is proposed to regulate sleep onset10. Badimon et al. found that the extracellular level of ADO in a brain region called the striatum was reduced by 85% in anaesthetized mice lacking microglia, compared with control mice that had microglia. This suggests that the build-up of extracellular ADO that generates sleep pressure might largely be derived from the activity of microglial CD39. Thus, microglia-facilitated negative-feedback control of neuronal activity could be a side effect of the evolution of a system to induce sleep (or vice versa)."

Mithriel and Andy like this.