1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy: CFS: Suggestions for a nutritional treatment in the therapeutic approach - Geir Bjørklund et al - 2018

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Kalliope, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS): Suggestions for a nutritional treatment in the therapeutic approach

Abstract
    Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is known as a multi-systemic and complex illness, which induces fatigue and long-term disability in educational, occupational, social, or personal activities. The diagnosis of this disease is difficult, due to lacking a proper and suited diagnostic laboratory test, besides to its multifaceted symptoms. Numerous factors, including environmental and immunological issues, and a large spectrum of CFS symptoms, have recently been reported. In this review, we focus on the nutritional intervention in CFS, discussing the many immunological, environmental, and nutritional aspects currently investigated about this disease. Changes in immunoglobulin levels, cytokine profiles and B- and T- cell phenotype and declined cytotoxicity of natural killer cells, are commonly reported features of immune dysregulation in CFS. Also, some nutrient deficiencies (vitamin C, vitamin B complex, sodium, magnesium, zinc, folic acid, l-carnitine, l-tryptophan, essential fatty acids, and coenzyme Q10) appear to be important in the severity and exacerbation of CFS symptoms. This review highlights a far-driven analysis of mineral and vitamin deficiencies among CFS patients.

Invisible Woman, MeSci and Inara like this.
  2. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve not heard of a large undiagnosed Parkinson’s subgroup in ME. Is this nonsense? The reference is in Russian (which doesn’t mean it’s nonsense, but it does mean I can’t read the original).

andypants, inox, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  3. Jenny TipsforME

Jenny TipsforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Supradyn is mentioned specifically as well as other general things. I wonder why?

It’s from this study
    https://www.medscimonit.com/download/getFreePdf/l/EN

Did those researchers gain anything from trialling a specific multivitamin?

andypants, inox, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes.

andypants, Marky, Milo and 12 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

So Supradyn is just a souped up berocca type thing that has sélénium and q10 as well as usual stuff. Made by Bayer.

andypants, Invisible Woman and inox like this.
  6. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The main author is norwegian, but I've never heard of him or this CONEM council before. Please take a look at this "Council for Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (CONEM)" - it's not a public entity. It's founded by the main author, who also is the president:

http://www.conem.org/people/bjorklundbio/

He also have:

Björklund Nutrition is an online, global news service. It features news and resources focused on nutrition, environmental medicine, and health. The service is founded and managed by Geir Bjørklund

http://www.bjorklundnutrition.net/

It's says in the bio that he's an independent researcher, but don't seem to have done any actual research? Or have any medical background, that I can see? All it mentions is beeing an editor and a dental journal he founded?

Maybe I'm missing someting...? But a look at his publication list, is seems to be all review articles? (that I suspect are more like opinion pieces....?)

7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Enough red flags for a bull stampede.

8. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I did some more digging.

The contact adress for "CONEM" seems to be the same as Geir Bjørklund's private home. At the same adress he has another company registered - Bjørklund Pharma AS.

http://www.bjorklundpharma.com/

Edit: Corrected last name, had written "Bjørkmo" one place - correct is Bjørklund.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for finding all that out @inox. It confirms my impression that it was not worth reading! So it's an advertisement pretending to be science.

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Vegemite!

1/8 tsp daily

Australia's unique contribution to nutrition, along with this (which I have growing wild at my place).

Also have these growing wild too, which are very nice to eat.

11. Londinium

Londinium Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can an inferior version of Marmite really be considered a unique contribution? ;-)

12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Fake news!

13. NelliePledge

I bet some person somewhere has done a study on what are the perpetuating factors in marmite consumption versus vegemite consumption

Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  14. obeat

obeat Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The number of hours of sunshine per day is critical. Would Marmite lovers switch to vegemite if they move south of the equator? Anyone willing to sponsor a trial??

NelliePledge and Invisible Woman like this.
  15. Trish

This N = 1 trial of moving from vegemite land (Australia) to marmite land (UK) many years ago found that within a few years she had acquired an inexplicable taste for marmite.

16. NelliePledge

Interesting did the change make any difference to your ability to carry a shopping bag as we know that is a key issue.

andypants, Trish and Invisible Woman like this.
  17. Trish

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, being on the opposite side of the world, I had to walk upside down and all the shopping fell out. ;)

18. NelliePledge

Unhelpful shopping belief strikes again :D

19. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've spent hundreds & hundreds of £s on vitamins & supplements and not seen any benefit in ME symptoms what so ever.