1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond the case numbers: Social determinants and contextual factors in patient narratives of recovery from COVID-19 2023 Hitch et al

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Andy, Jan 31, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objective
    This study aimed to describe and contextualise COVID-19 recovery from the perspective of patient-lived experience, to inform the evolving public health response to the pandemic.

Methods
    Narrative interviews were completed with 37 adult Australians between six and 10 months following their COVID-19 diagnosis. Verbatim transcripts were analysed thematically and trustworthiness was supported by multiple strategies to ensure rigour.

Results
    Three themes were identified: 1) trajectories of recovery, 2) back to ‘some sort of normal’ and 3) the importance of work. Resumed participation in activities of daily life, the influence of social determinants of health and the impact of contextual factors were prominent features in the recovery narratives.

Conclusions
    The COVID-19 pandemic presents both challenges and opportunities for public health systems to formulate appropriate responses and make improvements. Behind the case numbers, patient narratives described the uncertainty, diversity and multiple pathways to recovery that need to inform public health policy.

Implications for public health
    Looking beyond the case numbers reveals a complex landscape characterised by uncertainty, diversity and multiple pathways to recovery. The pandemic presents challenges and opportunities for public health in Australia and New Zealand, lived experience expertise is crucial to the formulation of an effective response.

Open access, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1326020022000024

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How meaningful is such a study so soon after the emergence of Covid-19?

Ask me in the first four or five years of my ME I would have stressed to importance of work, even after some five years when I went half time at work, I still saw this as vital to my well being and had the ultimate goal of returning to full time work. It was only after a major relapse when I was forced to stop work completely that I saw avoiding further relapses and maintaining a basic quality of life as more important than my career.

Ultimately for those with Long Covid that also meet the criteria for ME/CFS I suspect we will need narratives covering decades.

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Despite it all being old news information to us the fact that it’s badged with Covid 19 is no doubt meaning that people who wouldn’t hear these same messages about ME will get to learn what is to them new information so I think that’s a benefit. Hopefully the researchers will be able to follow up in a couple of years and more “new” learning will come out of it.