1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC Radio Scotland: Brainwaves, "ME - The Invisible Disease"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BBC Radio Scotland programme 28 mins long that will be broadcast today 13:30 UK time - link below should allow access up to 28 days later. The ME Association have highlighted that Charles Shepherd is featured in it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09p6stf

ETA: Clarify the radio station.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    petrichor, Allele, Valentijn and 16 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can't work out what BBC radio station ... 4?

3. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It's in the title "BBC Radio Scotland: Brainwaves, "ME - The Invisible Disease"" :)
    But I will add it to my post as well.

5. Barry

Sorry :confused:. Getting over flu so I'll claim a bit of brain fog :).

6. Dr Carrot

Dr Carrot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought this was very good.

Main points:

- They spoke to the Belle & Sebastian guy, Charles Shepherd, Julia Newton
    - Managed to get across illness severity through personal anecdotes and comparisons to other serious illnesses
    - Talked about how there is no understanding of subtypes
    - How the NICE guidelines are felt to be unfit for purpose by patients
    - They spoke to David Butcher, the chairman of the Optimum Health Clinic. I'm sure people have opinions on this.
    - Some people seem to get better but there seems no method to why, or why many stay ill, and there isn't any approved effective treatment

Edit: meant to mention, I feel like things like this are particularly good because while they may not say anything new to those in the know, they will paint a good picture to those who know nothing about the illness.

And with it being produced by the BBC, I'd be very happy sending this to say, a family member / friend who wanted to know more, as there's a certain level of quality or trustworthiness implied.

ahimsa, Joh, ladycatlover and 22 others like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just listened; not bad. Little bit from Charles, OHC got a few plugs (mostly because of their recent research into the cost of ME), Julia Newton mentioned harrassment of researchers and people being put off doing research towards the end.
    But it did pose some important questions as to why the illness is not being taken seriously.

It's available to listen to now.

eta: one point that IMO the presenter got wrong was that ME being classified as Neurological (she didn't mention WHO) that it [ME] had been somehow downgraded as psychosomatic.(ie she seemed to equate neurological with psychosomatic).

Joh, ladycatlover, Chezboo and 10 others like this.
  8. Barry

Won't it be great when one day, when the mislabelling of "asking valid questions" as "harassment" gets exposed, along with the perpetrators.

Moosie, Joh, ladycatlover and 8 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Less about patient harassment, more about the establishment being unhelpful, insulting and obstructive to her and her research.

Joh, ladycatlover, Allele and 17 others like this.
  10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quite good, but I didn't take JNs comments about verbal attacks etc. to be primarily comments about pwME, it seemed to me that she was talking about other researchers, medical people, and funding places.

Joh, ladycatlover, Barry and 11 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

What JN said:
    "I wish I worked in a field where everybody pulled together, at the moment there is so much internal wrangling and arguing between the patient community, the clinical community and researcher community; I have researchers who won't come and work in the field, or have left the field because of the way that they've been treated. I've been and done talks in places where I've been shouted at and
    humiliated."

"I've been ridiculed by my peers and I've done public meetings where I've been accused of being part of a conspiracy to treat this patient community in a very bad or negative way. When you spend lots of time writing funding applications that are not peer reviewed in a way that you would think they ought to be or you present things at meetings and people don't take you or your results seriously, then actually after a while you do begin to question whether it is all worth it".

Joh, ladycatlover, petrichor and 12 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Broad non-specific complaint. Treated by who?

Broad non-specific complaint. Could be taken to be patients, but equally could be professional talks that she has done.

Complaint about the scientific community.

Again vague. The word public could well imply it's the patient community though.

Complaint about the scientific community.

So I would say on balance that she is complaining principally about scientific establishment.

Joh, MEMarge, ladycatlover and 10 others like this.
  13. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

OK, but anyone in biomedical science feels like this. I suspect she was led into making comments of this sort by an editor who thought it was a good story. It is a pity that she mixes it all together really. Patients are sometimes vociferous because they are even more fed up to the back teeth than she is, and they have an illness as well. There are unnecessary divisions but the root cause is the BPS scam.... (Preaching to the converted here...)

Joh, ladycatlover, Binkie4 and 19 others like this.
  14. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Julia Newton couldn't see why patients would have concerns at the CMRC etc. I disagreed with her in this recording, almost excusing the bps focus by saying she didn't, at that time see what else research could have done, or something similar. I see her as a middle researcher, one foot in the good but some papers and presentations, CMRC with Crawley etc work have also rung caution bells plus she's a Fukuda user.

I will Post my MEA summary which was primarily disappointment as it seemed the similar as we always hear and the focus was supposed to have been research. I suspect many will disagree but I want clear movement forward in uk not just ruminating over the mess.
    Mmm. Heat not light; focus on mystery, Debate & controversy for a change; Only interviewed mild or recovered sufferers; neither dr S or J Newton called up the gross failure of our national funders to properly invest and get the field going; the money invested in ME research wasn't contrasted as it could easily have been with other illnesses that are progressing; j Newton praised charities for funding her but didn't make clear that that the charities can invest are thousands, not the millions we need; drastic change in America vs uk (IOM report, SEID , NIH funding) wasn't mentioned; the most promising energy production research wasn't really explained so it all seemed vague; J Newton talked of no standard disease criteria whilst calling it CFS , we know she prefers Fukuda which ME patients don't like; J Newton unhelpfully had a patient bash which sounded like Crawley researchers driven out of field etc ; no mention of unrest or #millionsmissing and neither children or the severe were reflected enough. This could have been the 1990s really in many levels.

Joh, ladycatlover, Barry and 4 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think it's very good.

I would guess the bit about being shouted at and accusing her of being part of a conspiracy might be patients annoyed with her for being part of the CMRC, and therefore seen as supporting, or at least not challenging the BPS crowd. I seem to remember she has left the CMRC recently.
    I agree it was a pity the bit about the difficulties all got muddled in together.

16. Sly Saint

and medical adviser to AfME

17. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Radio scotland have at least one such programme/ year. The two previous ones have been on "Call Kaye" which are a feature and phone in - the response is always good and really underlines the " most common uncommon disease" aspect.

18. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I thought Penny Latin did an excellent job of pulling it altogether though she got confused I think about NICE classifying ME as neurological. Good to see ME Research UK being mentioned. Thought Charles Shepherd and Julia Newton did a v good job explaining the illness and the politics and research to new listeners but much more could have been made of harms of psychiatry - I guess none of the psychs there to defend themselves. So they got off lightly. Was hard listening to Ciara talking about her worst, horrific bedridden times, I know Ciara from 80s/90s.

Joh, MEMarge, Skycloud and 10 others like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

They mention having more material that they couldn't fit into the broadcast and that they were putting it on the BBC website, anybody managed to find it?

20. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Invisible Woman likes this.