1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Autonomic and inflammatory changes in FM & ME/CFS and the contribution to signs & symptoms (BMJ, 2019) Themelis et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Eagles, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

BMJ Journals: Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases: Autonomic and inflammatory changes in FM and ME/CFS and the contribution to signs and symptoms

https://ard.bmj.com/content/78/Suppl_2/1920.1

Abstract

Background Dysautonomia describes a group of conditions associated with a malfunction of the autonomic nervous system. Symptoms of dysautonomia and inflammation have been described in Fibromyalgia (FM) and Myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) [1–4]. Symptoms include increased disabling fatigue, pain, dizziness and digestive problems…

Conclusion includes: Preliminary findings suggest that dysautonomia and induced inflammation significantly impacts on pain, fatigue, and autonomic function in FM and ME/CFS.

ahimsa, Mij, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. Badpack

Badpack Established Member (Voting Rights)

Dysautonomia, which is the latin word for disturbed autonomic function, shows that the autonomic function is disturbed ? haha, well jokes aside you should all watch this video. Im a firm believer thats the main problem here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHaDCBXWArU

alktipping likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full abstract - this, as I understand it, is an abstract-only publication.

ahimsa, alktipping, andypants and 5 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does malfunction have a different meaning than dysfunction or it's just the author's preference? Never seen the word malfunction in medical terminology.

alktipping, andypants and DokaGirl like this.