1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Autoantibody Correlation Signatures in Fibromyalgia and ME/CFS: Association with Symptom Severity 2023 Ryabkova et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Recent studies provide some evidence for the contribution of antibody-mediated autoimmune mechanisms to the nature of fibromyalgia (FM) and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Much attention was paid to the autoantibodies (AAb) targeting G protein-coupled receptors as natural components of the immune system. However, the natural AAb network is much more extensive, and has not been previously investigated in these disorders.

The enzyme immunoassays ELI-Viscero-Test and ELI-Neuro-Test were used to determine changes in serum content of 33 natural AAb to neural, organ-specific and non-tissue-specific autoantigens (a) in 11 ME/CFS patients with comorbid FM; (b) in 11 ME/CFS patients without FM; (c) in 11 healthy controls. Individual AAb profiles and their correlation with some clinical symptoms were analyzed. Both patients with ME/CFS(−)FM and ME/CFS(+)FM were characterized by more frequent and pronounced deviations in the immunoreactivity to GABA-receptors than healthy controls. Although the level of other natural AAb did not differ between study groups, AAb correlation signatures were altered in patients compared to healthy controls. Both in patients and healthy controls the level of natural AAb to various neural and tissue-specific antigens correlated with the severity of fatigue, bodily pain, depression, anxiety, physical and mental health-related quality of life. Notably, widely different correlation patterns were observed between study groups.

Findings from this pilot study provide some evidence that the homeostasis of autoimmune relationships, which are possibly a physiological part of our immune system, may be altered in FM and ME/CFS. The correlation of disease-induced perturbations in individual AAb profiles with some clinical symptoms may arise from the immune system’s ability to reflect qualitative and quantitative changes in antigenic composition of the body.

Open access, https://www.mdpi.com/2227-9059/11/2/257

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"2.1. Patients and Controls

Patients were included in the study if they met all three of the most commonly used sets of ME/CFS diagnostic criteria (Fukuda et al. (1994) CFS criteria [12], the Canadian Consensus criteria of ME/CFS (2003) [13], and US Institute of Medicine, now called the National Academy of Medicine (IOM/NAM) criteria (2015) [14]). Patients were assigned to the ME/CFS(+)FM or ME/CFS(−)FM groups depending on whether they met ACR 2016 diagnostic criteria for FM [15]. The third group consisted of apparently healthy controls (HC). Individuals with any autoimmune diseases and those who had any acute illness during the last 3 months were excluded from the study."

3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Looking at the paper for a few minutes gives me the impression this is just a statistical fishing expedition.

4. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The institutions involved with my boldings. I particularly like Allergology, whatever that is. Also favorited is Phthisiopulmonology, not to mention LLC "Doctor Koshkina".
    Has Russia given up on English translation?

Laboratory of the Mosaic of Autoimmunity, Department of Pathology, Saint Petersburg State University, 199034 Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Department of Hospital Therapy Named after Academician M.V. Chernorutskii, Research Institute of Rheumatology and Allergology, Pavlov First Saint Petersburg State Medical University, 197022 Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Medical Research Centre “Immunculus”, 105187 Moscow, Russia
    LLC “Doctor Koshkina”, 117437 Moscow, Russia
    Saint Petersburg Research Institute of Phthisiopulmonology, 191036 Saint Petersburg, Russia
    Zabludowicz Center for Autoimmune Diseases

alktipping likes this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping likes this.