1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 21st September 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia - ME/CFS Prevalence study 2020

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Split thread
    From the latest Emerge Australia newsletter:
    I would satisfy the Canadian clinical criteria, but I doubt I would be seen as satisfying it based on my GP notes. My earlier GP retired. I have been with this practice over 15 years but I was diagnosed before that so wouldn't mention all my symptoms during consultations.

However, now that I think about it more, perhaps if they did keep a record of when I first attended, I did give them a list of most of my symptoms. So if that was put into the system, perhaps I would be counted as a case.

Anyway, I think this system may underestimate the prevalence of those satisfying the Canadian clinical criteria.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2020
  2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, I would definitely qualify too, but if you look at my GP treatment notes you'd never know it.

You would have to wade through letters from my original diagnosing consultant and that would have been pre the Canadian criteria I think. Can't remember for sure, but he might possibly have used Fukuda in his letter along with CFS (as well as ME) on the basis that those were the terms the GP was most likely to recognize.

Snow Leopard, Ebb Tide and Dolphin like this.