1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia – ME/CFS doctors

Discussion in 'Other clinics and doctors' started by Sean, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Any recommendations for a good doctor/clinic in the SE corner of NSW (Monaro region), for a newly diagnosed patient in that area?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dolphin and Sean like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for those. I have passed them on.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  4. oroffey

oroffey Established Member

Merged thread

Australia (Sydney): ME/CFS doctor

My partner has suffered with ME for the past 5 years and the doctor she has been working with recently move back to the UK.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ME doctors in Australia (ideally Sydney)?

Thanks Ollie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2023
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry that your partner is sick; she is lucky to have you.

My personal opinion is that virtually all doctors claiming expertise in ME/CFS should be left well alone. I think it's best to just try to find the smartest, kindest GP near you, and expect nothing from them with respect to ME/CFS-specific care.

I know it is hard to believe that it could possibly be true that there is no useful specific help to be had from medical professionals, and it certainly shouldn't be that way.

Is there any particular treatment or care that your partner is wanting from a doctor?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    alktipping, RedFox, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  6. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi Ollie. After many years of disappointments and wasted energy, and a large amount of money down the drain thanks to ME/CFS GPs, I agree completely with Hutan.

All the best to you and your partner.

alktipping, RedFox, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  7. oroffey

oroffey Established Member

Hi both - thank you for the quick responses. Yes I seem to be getting that picture from my partner and others.

She currently takes a number of anti-virals and NAD+ injections - which both seem to work for her. I think she just wants someone she can talk through all options with in a safe environment

bobbler, ukxmrv, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Something I found useful when living in Australia was to see doctors for specific symptoms.

As an example I had BP/HR problems for years and been diagnosed with POTS previously using the "poor mans" test which wasn't taken very seriously by some doctors. When I saw a Cardiologist and had a proper TTT and a official diagnosis of POTS I was able to get some meds that helped me.

That wasn't any easy thing to achieve though as the Cardiologist I was had no sympathy with people with ME and thought I was wasting his time. This was proved wrong and his attitude changed completely but the TTT never would have happened if I hadn't pushed effectively.

Another doctor I saw was able to prescribe an anti-viral/pain meds combo that made a huge difference to my pain levels.

alktipping, RedFox, oldtimer and 3 others like this.