1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 29th June 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, the DecodeME study has announced £3.2m of funding, click here to read about it.
    Dismiss Notice

Article Independent: ‘As lockdown eases, those of us with chronic illnesses must not be left behind’ June 2020

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sly Saint, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

full article here
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...sses-coronavirus-healthcare-nhs-a9585511.html

ahimsa, MEMarge, MSEsperanza and 14 others like this.
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Back in the 'old days' days we all here remember from not so long ago, any of a number of recent articles like this one would be followed by swift and cutting replies from the BPS brigade. They would follow within a few days and picked up seemingly everywhere at once on social media.

First the trolls stopped posting comments en masse and now it seems the newspapers don't feel a need to quote, throughout the text, the BPSers to frame the story with their particular narrative of our illness. Whatever next.

There's still the possibility of a big spread to come, taking back the 'we are the final solution' 'people with ME hate us for no reason' 'we as researchers deserve better than to have these people seen as deserving of basic respect as human beings'* narrative that they have been so good at in the past.

But so far it's all quiet. A nice reprieve.

*Of course they would deny that blatant framing of people with ME. But as we well know, that's exactly how we've been treated by them despite their protest to the contrary. And they did that by simple not listening to us. By constantly gaslighting.

If we said we did not think our illness was being perpetuated by psychological factors they'd reframe it and tell the world we were disrespecting the mental health community. If anyone dared speak up about poor quality research they were militants who had no business sticking their nose into things they didn't understand. If we pointed out inconsistencies in the narrative we were labelled a powerful lobby group and so on.

All aided and abetted by the news who followed the eminence is always right school of thought.

Just IMO but I don't feel that the press has 'balanced' those years of gaslighting yet. Time for more and better articles on ME.

I know this article was not specifically on ME. But it's so much better than most anything even a year ago in UK news press. And so I'm using it to cheer for a future with less gaslighting by BPS cabal.

MEMarge, alktipping, Kitty and 7 others like this.