1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Article: Huge rise in fibromyalgia in the Grimsby area - 28 Dec 2019

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Sly Saint, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/health/huge-rise-fibromyalgia-grimsby-area-3686208

dangermouse, Barry, DokaGirl and 7 others like this.
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would assume that in many areas in the UK doctors are diagnosing fibromyalgia because it's a fabulous get-out-of-spending-money card for them. There is no treatment for fibromyalgia that I'm aware of, other than possibly CBT and GET.

rainy, Barry, DokaGirl and 6 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Considering the move to mass psychologization and MUS, this is unexpected. I would have expected cases to "drop" in the sense that they would be given BS misdiagnoses (or should we say disdiagnosis, a false diagnosis made deliberately, like disinformation is to misinformation? also kinda doubles as a dis, which it is, insult to injury formalized in the most insulting way possible) instead and so those diagnoses would go down by the same numbers other psychogenic crap diagnoses are rising. Different parts of the system will give different outcomes given similar inputs. What a mess.

It was, what, 2 years ago that an Ontario health ministry report gave a number of approximately 1M Canadians for the combination of ME, FM and MCS/MCAS. That's nearly 3% of the population. We know the numbers for ME are on the rise. Or the number of people who have a provisional diagnosis of, since we know how common differential diagnoses are. But that's the same problem anyway, it's the denial and behavioral models that justify the lazy diagnoses to be made with little to no efforts.

Wow, turns out pretending a problem doesn't exist doesn't actually make it go away and misrepresenting it as something it's not doesn't work any better than simply ignoring it. Weird. It never actually works, but people keep getting surprised by this.

Although, I guess it's a matter of perspective. Hysterical paralysis and nervous stomach effectively do not exist anymore. Because science did its thing and made the bullshitters obsolete, although they instead turned their crap on us so the problem is actually bigger than it was. Might want to give this science thingy a try, it works nearly all the time, compared to the magical explanation thing that literally never works, sounds a bit smarter.

4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting that they have figures for Fibromyalgia yet repeatedly when questions have been raised about NHS stats for ME/CFS diagnosis (in parliament) they claim there aren't any.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe there are more people diagnosed with fibromyalgia because GrimbyLive keeps doing articles on it. The rate of diagnosis by individual physicians varies by a factor of 100 so very likely it is just who has got a new job in A/E.

2kidswithME, Sarah94, Barry and 2 others like this.