1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Arc Institute seeks new Investigators--January deadlines--please circulate

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Jaybee00, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Please circulate!!!!

https://arcinstitute.org/jobs/faculty-and-fellows

Arc Investigator Programs
    As part of our mission to understand and treat complex human diseases, the Arc Institute is launching searches across three investigator programs. All Arc investigators receive unrestricted, flexible funding to pursue their most important ideas – with complete freedom to study fundamental biological mechanisms, develop new technologies, or innovate on therapeutic concepts. We encourage interdisciplinary collaboration, curiosity-driven exploration, and goal-oriented research.
    Applications are open immediately until January 9, 2023 (Science Fellows) and January 31, 2023 (Core Investigators & Innovation Investigators).

Dolphin, Simon M, RedFox and 2 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Looks like this is just for researchers at 3 California universities. Lots of money. I hope some of it goes to ME/CFS research.

Dolphin, Simon M, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jaybee00

So there are three programs—only the innovation investigator program is limited to the 3 universities—the other 2 are open to all.

e.g.
    Current faculty at all career stages are encouraged to apply, and Arc is excited about the opportunity to support scientists at early career stages (~10 years post-independence or in their postdoctoral training period). Individuals who are authorized to work in the US as well as those who require visa sponsorship are eligible to apply.

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. Jaybee00

5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A little more on the Arc Institute —

The Arc Institute is an independent nonprofit research organisation that operates in collaboration with Stanford University, the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of California, San Francisco. The institute has been established with a USD 650 million fund to allow ongoing scientific investigation into complex human diseases, with a focus on high-risk, high-reward research with potential.

Some links added for reference (where generalised and available) —

The majority of founding donors bring capital from large scale, successful software / Internet endeavours. Personally, I view this as a favourable combination: taking the best elements of the Silicon Valley "move fast and break things" mentality, tempered by experience of deploying robust software engineering methodologies; with early career researchers working in newer biotech areas, such as genomics and gene editing. I imagine many of the donors might have close experience of complex disease and see this as a vehicle to accelerate developments, where national funding bodies are dallying (c.f. US NIH RECOVER).